This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:28 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Well here's a story that will make Dave cringe!

Back a while I had a '47 coupe with Y-block running gear through-out.

I let a kid use it for a rod-run and it blew a head-gasket between two cylinders, he drove it like that for near on 400 miles.

When I got it back and took the head off I found a deep groove on top of the block between the two cylinders.

So, being 'financially challenged' at the time I fixed it thus:

Towed the '47 to a mate who is an engineer and after we blocked off all the holes on the engine my mate used the proper rods to build up the groove to just proud of the block.

Then we ground back the weld with an angle grinder until it was almost flush - and dressed it off with a long fine-toothed file.

And before replacing the head-gasket I placed a 4" length of copper wire between the two cylinders before gluing verythign together.

That old 272 fired right up and never missed a beat, I eventually replaced the 272 with a 289 but that's another story...
Old 08-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I know they produced Y-Blocks in Australia for a lot longer than we did. I also know that South America produced them as well.

The two center exhaust ports were always a major heat problem. The gasket set I got from FelPro had 'steam holes' in it. They suggested I use the new head gasket as a template to drill holes in the heads and both block decks for better cooling.

In S. America (Argentina, I think), they came up with a new head, similar to a 289 head, with the center exhaust ports re-configured.

My '55 came with a 272. I still have it on a stand. It's old and tired but original.

I admire all you guys down under, for making things work from zero resources. I love stories like your Y-Block story. That copper wire was the best heat conduit your 272 ever saw! - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-06-2018, 11:03 AM
Noob

Y-Blokkah is on a distinguished road

I’ve rebuilt several Y Blocks through the years with good results.
My first was a bone stock 272 in my 55 Club Sedan It worked well, better than a 272 had any right to.
Then the stock 272 in my 55 Glasstop. It worked well enough, still does, but developed a funky fuel pump knock that only went away after I replaced everything in the timing chest.
Builder error? After a few thousand miles, the old eccentric showed some crazy wild wear patterns. I’ll chalk it up to a bad pump arm, but something tells me I somehow messed up.
Then the stock 312 in my old 56 Monarch. A real runner, that was.
I did a refresh on the mile 272 in my wife’s 55 Town Sedan. Rings, bearings, polish, degrease, pressure wash, etc, and it runs strong.
The last on I’ll mention was interesting. I was getting sick of the 272 in the 2 door. 292 block lifted from a 59, turned down the mains on a 57 Merc crank to fit, 57 Ford 4 barrel heads, heavier rods we found at the machine shop, and used a 57 4 barrel cam.
This was in 1986. Nobody had any performance goodies out for these yet, and I just wanted a stronger engine for the Club Sedan.
Balanced the whole mess, bolted it behind a factory overdrive, welded on a reversed pair of long glasspacks as far forward as possible, used a 57 4 barrel intake and an AFB, and it was by far the most awesome 55 I’ve ever owned. I chased Crowns for years, but to me, nothing oozes cool like a slightly warmed over 2 door.
That thing ran like the bloody wind and sounded like a million bucks. Best of all, to the uninitiated, it looked completely stock.

To me, nothing beats a Y-Block for pure tradition, look, and oooh that sound.

The pic is of me behind the wheel and three rider friends in my Club Sedan in about 85 or so. Dig those tombstone seats. We were D.I.’s and our platoons had a weekend pass so we were headed to town to get T Totally Trashed.

C6E9C12B-196D-4861-B6AF-E72A41DEACA9.jpg
Old 10-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Slow Typist

Excellent Y-Block history, Ernie. I love and have a '55 Town Sedan. Yeah, they're a Fordor but at this time of my life, a Fordor suits me even more than a tudor.

I have a couple 'spare' Y-blocks in my garage, both unmolested but tired and old. One is a 272 with a Fordomatic. The other is a '59 292 with a 3-speed stick . I never separated the transmissions on either.

I'm running an overhauled 292 in our '59 Galaxie because that's the stock engine. It's strong with the 3-speed C-O-M but still under 300 cubes and underpowered for such a huge car. The '55 wears a 390/C6. I do like it better than the Y's because parts are more available and as such they are less expensive. It also has a roller cam, etc. The old saying holds true: There's no replacement for displacement. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-06-2018, 05:40 PM
Noob

One thingís for sure, Dave: we bleed Ford blue.

I have a slightly beefed up 272 sitting on a stand, done and ready to run.
Itís a bagged up long block at this time, but is slated for my 53 Vicky.
That carís a bit of a long term Ďvisionaryí Project for me. I dropped it onto a rebuilt stock 54 frame and that puffed up Y will make her run. I have a 56 Vicky roof that Iím transplanting on it and I hope to make it a stock looking mild custom. Something thatíll get purists scratching their heads and thinking ďHenry should have built thatĒ.
But I expect itíll flatout fly if i donít run out of time on earth first.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:57 PM
Slow Typist

By my NOT being a purist, I've put off a lot of folks. Seeing and driving our classics on the road really tickles me but pure stock cars from the day are in dangerous competition with modern cars that wear disc brakes, R&P steering, etc., on modern interstate highways. I believe pure stock cars from the '50s belong in the garage or on a trailer.

I applaud anyone who customizes THEIR car to suit THEIR fancy. As you said, we never know how long we have to enjoy the sweet nectar of our labor (and there's no guarantee). Am I selfish? You betcha. My wife says, 'Look at all this 'men's stuff'. Let's sell it or … It's not fair to the kids, to make them clean it out." Too bad, it's mine right now and when I'm done with it I really don't care what anyone does with all my stuff. "I'm waitin' for the chariot 'cause I'm ready to go when God calls me home." In the mean time, my cars and hobbies are my incentive to get out of bed. I started working at Ford Motor in 1971 so that I could be HERE, right now and I'm feelin' great in my old age.

I'm reminded of a Confucious saying: If you want sex, get married. If you want happiness, grow a garden.

It's plain to me that Confucious never went 150-MPH in his Mustang Convertible, or he would have found my kind of happiness.

You go get it, Earnie. Put that '56 top on your '54. Ford put a Squarebird top on our '59 Ford and called it a Galaxie. That simple upgraded made the Galaxie package. There are lots of changes Ford should have done over the years that hot rodders were ahead of. I only wish we lived closer and YES, we do bleed Ford blue. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-06-2018, 11:19 PM
Noob

Amen brother, Amen!

Personally, I like to keep them looking stock, but underneath, what you can’t see can’t hurt you.
Balljoints are a good thing. So are front discs. I grew up on drums so it took today’s North Texas traffic to change my mind. When California moved here, they brought their driving style with them.

I learned to build Y-Blocks because everyone else was running big block Dodge, SBCs and thin Wall Fords.

One thing about a Y. When you fire one up, nobody mistakes it for anything else.