Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodfin
    • Apr 8 2012

Lead Paint ?

Hi guy's i'm planning on starting to grind / sand and sandblast down my badly rusted 60 hardtop exterior. My wife asked about lead paint, and I'd not thought of that.

I'm going to pick up a couple test kits to make sure, but wanted to pose the question to this group to see if you knew for sure if lead was used in the paint on this car.

Thanks

Rich
  • Astrowing
    Experienced
    • Jul 22 2009

I suspect there is some lead in the paint, but I think the biggest problem is the dust getting in your lungs. Use a good respirator that is rated for fine particles. The fine particles are what cause the problems long term. I ended up paying to get my last project soda blasted.
    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

someone else will chime in here I sure... but I think lead solder was used for some of the bodywork way back then.

I'd use a mask no matter what. You dont want to breathe any quantities of dust; even grain dust, for example.
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• DKheld
        Super-Experienced
        • Aug 27 2008

Let us know what you find - curious about the outcome myself.

Ford doesn't mention lead but here's what the brochure says about how the cars were painted. This brochure was sent in the mail to my Dad shortly after he purchased the car. Even has Lee Ioccoa's signature! Would bet there is lead solder though...

Eric
        registry 5347

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎