Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dpgosox
    • Sep 14 2008

stuck distributor

I was trying to set the timing on the T-bird, and cant get the thing to rotate, i've soaked it down with pb blaster but still cant get it to turn, anyone ever run into this. I hope someone has! No offense this car is way older than me, and hardly anything has a distributor now.
  • JohnG
    John
    • Jul 28 2003

you've loosened the locking bolt underneath it that keeps it from rotating?? You can remove the bolt if you like which then allows you to remove the plate that the bolt holds down. That should give you a bit better access to the shaft of the distributor and allow you to get some more penetrant down there.If I had let it sit for awhile, I wouldn't mind grabbing it with a pair of channel locks and rocking it loose. The top is cast metal I think so you don't want to whack it or you might find a chunk falling off.If you do happen to trash it, you can get one still at autoparts stores.Let us know how you make out! john
    1958 Hardtop
    #8452 TBird Registry
    http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
    history:
    http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Hawkrod
      Experienced
      • Oct 31 2005

The problem is the distributors do not seize at the top. They actually float at the top and are not held tight there. Down under the intake in the block the distributor sits in a well and grunge builds up there locking the distributor. No amount of penetrant at the top will do anything to help you. I have had very good luck by running the engine and getting it good and hot and then twisting the distributor and rocking it as much as possible. Do this several times over several days and clean oil seeps in around the shaft and eventually it will break free. Unfortunately there is no other safe way to get the distributor loose or out. I have actually had to unbolt intakes and swing them around the distributor so I could spray them with solvent to get them out. Hawkrod

Comment

• dpgosox
        • Sep 14 2008

Yes i have the bolt and plate off, thanks for the input I'll try that hawkrod, thanks again

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

I've always found that the dist's o-ring seal "freezes" up & "grows" to the intank, causing this type of problem.

I agree with warming up the motor & spraying more penatrate. Then gently try moving the dist shaft with a pair of adjustable pliers or channel locks. Def install a new dist o-ring seal after all of this too.

Good luck & keep us posted.
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• scumdog
            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

I've moved a stuck distributor by GENTLY tapping on it using a small hammer and a length of wood as a drift and putting the wood on the lug where the cap clip is attached to the distributor body.

Try tapping from both directions to free it up.

NOTE: No responsibility taken if you use this method and wreck your distributor though...
            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• dpgosox
              • Sep 14 2008

yea scumdog wheres its a cast piece the hammer thing might be a last resort, I'll hopefully get back to it next week thanks for the input guys

Comment

• Meridious
                Experienced
                • Nov 16 2007

On my 1967 Firebird, I remember having to hook a come-along to the distributor, hang it on an A-Frame, pull up with the come-along until I got really good pressure on it, and tap the distributor lightly with a hammer, to free it up. It took me forever to get that sucker to MOVE in the slightest.

I had seen some 'stuck' distributors, but that one took first place.

I thought of torching it to get it hot, but like the other member said...it is not stuck at the top of the base...it is in the block.

(I have to say, though, that those were a dime a dozen and I did not care at all if it was ruined in the process)

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎