No announcement yet.

What is it?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is it?

A newbie dumb question-on my 60 430 there is a metal support from the engine extending out and over the transmission housing. It has a metal line running to it and has what looks like a small metal cap of some sorts on top of it. Have not looked to where it terminates. What is it?
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

RE: What is it?

Oh wow ! 430's have those too? I know on a 352 (or 390) equipped Bird it's something to do with checking trans fluid pressure. There is a procedure listed in the Ford Trans manual.
    It looks like a valve stem for a tire huh? DON'T put air in it.

John

Comment

• tarps3
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 21 2003

Can ANYONE tell me or post a picture of what the other end of this line connects to? Somewhere on the tranny?
      I have the bracket but not the line itself and I want to make sure my tranny doesn't have an open port somewhere.

I haven't been able to find this info anywhere.
      If someone has this on their car, please take a pic for me so I can tell where it is supposed to connect.

thanks.
      Casey

Comment

• JBird
        Experienced
        • May 22 2005

>A newbie dumb question-on my 60 430 there is a metal support
        >from the engine extending out and over the transmission
        >housing. It has a metal line running to it and has what
        >looks like a small metal cap of some sorts on top of it.
        >Have not looked to where it terminates. What is it?
        speedometer cable?

Comment

No-not speedo cable, its a metal line about the size of fuel line.Looks almost like a breather line. It goes to the tranny-it might be a pressure test line-going to get a tranny manual and see if that is it.

Comment

One of the guys on the MEL website id it as a test port for auto tranny

Comment

• KULTULZ

I Am Fairly Certain...

...that the line you are looking at is FORD's way of allowing TV pressure being set on the CRUISE-O-MATIC, similiar to the procesdure to adjust the TV (throttle valve) rod/cable on the later AOD trans.

The CRUISE-O-MATIC did not receive an vacuum actuated modulator valve until the 1961 COM redesign. Prior to this model change, the dual range COM and the single range FORD-O-MATIC (and MERC-LINK variations) had the actual shifting controlled by actuating linkage coming off the throttle bellcrank. The linkage adjustment of this design included monitoring pump (line) pressure, and I am assuming this fitting was placed here on the BIRD as the chassis design made most service sequences tight.

Alexander has thoughtfully supplied a scanned copy of The FORD MECHANIC booklet (these were distributed to techs of the period to introduce them to new product and service requirements) and this issue details the 1958 BIRD.

On this page you will notice service procedure for the COM. At the end of the section, it says;

For complete information on CRUISE-O-MATIC service procedures, refer to "The 1958 FORD MECHANIC No.2"

These publications are more informative in this regard as it is accepted that those that later use the shop manuals are more trained/progressed in repair and most theory is not necessary to present at this point.

I know I have this publication and I am sure it is where I saw the illustration of the fitting. Once I find it, I will post it here.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎