• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • booalou
    Apprentice
    • Jun 7 2007

Tom classics disc brake conversation

Looking for everyone thoughts.

I bought and installed the tom classics disc brake retrofit kit from eBay. After the installation was completed I've tried to bleed this system and have not been able to get anything but a spongy pedal. Now I've put at least 180oz of fluid through the system bleeding and have started over from bench bleeding the MC more then once. Have bread it with the two men manually bleed and a one man vacuum bleed with no luck same results. I've sent an email to tom classics asking for a new MC since I can't find any other problems.

Note I've added a residual pressure valve for the rear brakes and use a prop valve bleeder tool. Still nothing but a sponge.

Help
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Air in the system is not the only cause for a spongy pedal but it is a major cause.

Go over the train of hardware from your brake pedal to your master. If any of the steel components flex, it will feel like a spongy pedal.

The idea is like standing in a bucket and lifting yourself up by the bail wire. Your brake pedal pivots from the brake pedal support. The brake pedal support has firewall bolts that continue through to the booster/firewall bracket. This 'sandwich' needs to be tight and all four bolts need to be there. From the bracket to the booster, same story. Get someone to mash the brake pedal hard and repeatedly while you inspect. If anything moves, even slightly, fix it. The hydraulics are an extension of this mechanical train. Since brake fluid cannot compress, the only other culprit can be air, anywhere in your system.

The residual valve is ok but I prefer to use self adjusters on my rear shoes. I stay out of deep water so the adjusting ratchet (star wheel) doesn't rust.

The residual valve keeps the shoes spread out so the pedal remains up. Eventually after the shoes wear, a pistons will pop out of a cylinder. In that scenario, your pedal won't go down but your fluid level will.

Self adjusters spread the bottom of the shoes to keep them close to the drums but the cylinders always return home. The pedal will not go down and the fluid level will remain full. More importantly, the brakes will squeal before a wheel cylinder piston gets close to coming out.

If you're happy with the residual valve, it is important you stay on top of your brake adjustment schedule. Again, you will not get a warning if the shoes are too far out. Ford Tempo cars had this problem. Thousands of them were towed into dealerships with a rear wheel dripping with brake fluid long after warranty expired. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• booalou
      Apprentice
      • Jun 7 2007

Flexing

I will check it out to make sure nothing is moving

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

At the factory, we vacuum bleed. If the system doesn't hold a vacuum, we won't fill. This holds true for the radiator, A/C, etc. Vacuum filling is the grand daddy. There is no such thing as empty pockets or trapped air.

I forgot to mention, the brake pedal support is bolted to your dash AND your firewall. There is no way the firewall will flex when you mash the pedal hard. Loose or missing bolts will make the firewall bracket & booster flex because you're trying to push the booster out the other end.

A good bench bleed is really all you need. What method are you using? I screw two old brake lines into the side ports and bend the open ends back into the reservoirs below the fluid level. At first, use short strokes. After ~20 pumps on a level surface the air should stop. There is no reason to go through more than a cup of fluid. The transparent plastic 'bleed kit' works too.

When shoes and pads are not bedded-in, they tend to feel odd or maybe a bit spongy. Give it a few weeks and your system will get better. Apply the brakes as you would normally during this period. You won't notice the slow change until you need to stop fast.

Think about it, shoes are a different arc than the drums and pads don't wear flat. Old pads are normally worn on a slight angle, even though they still work well. Every component is always slightly different.

I would like to see a few pictures of your setup. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Tom has a quality control issue that may be affecting this. The calipers are from an S10 and have to be machined at two locations to clear his custom bracket. Make sure that the piston is able to make full contact against the rotor. Inadequate clearance can cause a problem in this area.

Comment

• booalou
            Apprentice
            • Jun 7 2007

No pedal when the car is started

I have bench bleed the master cylinder several times with and without brake lines leading back into the wells. Today I removed the brake line and plug the mc while on the car. Had my son exercise the brake pedal so I could make sure we didn't have anymore air in the system. i didn't see a thing so I put the cover back on and checked with the mc isolated we have great pedal that holds.

Once I put the prop valve back in the system and bleed again I have the same spongy pedal and even worse when I start the car I have no pedal at all so I can't drive it like this.

I will post pictures of my set up

Comment

• booalou
              Apprentice
              • Jun 7 2007

Pics

I can't figure out how to post my pics on here

Comment

• booalou
                Apprentice
                • Jun 7 2007

Dave I sent you a private message

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Bob, I've seen videos of that 'blocked port' type of bleeding but I prefer using the 'recirculating tubes' type of bleeding because it has never failed me yet.

I have to ask a few questions because I have to believe the reason you kept adding more fluid was because the bubbles didn't stop coming...
                  • Was your M/C 'running clear' when you installed it or was it still showing bubbles?
                  • Your whole system only holds about a cup of brake fluid. Were you showing bubbles at every bleed valve?
                  • Did you change your steel lines?
                  • Did you change your hoses and are all connections right? (Notice I didn't ask if they are tight because a bad fitting or cross-threaded nut can still be tight, but leak.)

If you still aren't getting anywhere, call me (248) 544-8834. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 4 2015

I am going for it

Hi Folks:

I am going for it, and getting ready to order a front disc conversion kit from Tom's (eBay) store.

Here's the one line in his description I have a question about:

"You will have to make new brake lines to make this booster assembly work"

Who has done this work to "make new brake lines"? What can i expect? I have not worked with steel lines yet, so I need some education....any help?

Regards,

~g
                    Geoff In Carlsbad
                    1961 Thunderbird Convertible aka: Betty:cool:

sigpic

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Does the new booster/master cylinder combo come with the proportioning valve. You will need one of those also. Doing brake lines just takes practice. I would contact Dave and order a roll of cunifer brake line stock from him. That is easier to work with for the novice. He might also lend you the tools if you don't have them. Getting a good flare is the hardest part. Like I said it takes a little practice. A good rule of thumb is to measure and do the flaring and fittings first before you bend the lines.

John
                      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
                        Experienced
                        • Jul 4 2015

Here the link

Here is the link to Toms eBay store. I'm going for chrome! Why not.

This is a new in the box 1961-1964 ford T hunderbird power front disc brake conversion. You will have to make new brake lines to mak e this booster assembly work. 1- complete set of mounting hardware.

But it describes what is included. I've posted it below:

This is a new in the box 1961-1964 ford Thunderbird power front disc brake conversion. This kit uses your original spindle. You will need 14 inch disc type rims or 15 inch or larger. We welcome your questions. You will have to make new brake lines to make this booster assembly work.
                        Kit includes:
                        1- power booster with master cylinder and proportioning valve. 8" chrome booster with chrome master. Pro valve is chrome. Mounting brackets for booster and pro valve are not chrome just like the photos.
                        1- rotors with 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern drilled and slotted
                        1- pair new in the box calipers and semi metallic pads
                        1- complete set of mounting hardware. caliper brackets with bolts., rubber hoses, banjo bolts, bearings and seals.

Other than the brake lines, and the tools for that, anything missing or you think I may need?
                        Geoff In Carlsbad

sigpic

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It looks like everything is included. The only problem you may run into is the strut tower brace. You may have to modify it to clear the new master cylinder.

John
                          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
                            Experienced
                            • Jul 4 2015

Strut Tower Base

To the guys who did this (Yadkin, booalu), did you have issues with the placement of the kit and the strut tower?

If so, how did you manage it?
                            Geoff In Carlsbad

sigpic

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Tom classics disc brake conversation

Geoff, as I recall from past installations of systems like this, there can be a problem of that strut tower brace interfering with the installation. There have been other postings about this, and if memory serves me best, I think they had to notch an area on that brace to allow the MC to install properly. You might consider getting a MC with the flat top instead of the two rounded bubble tops. Hopefully, those who have been down this road before and had that strut problem will tell you what they did. I know there have been posts and pix posted of what they did to that strut to get clearance.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎