No announcement yet.

Tuning carb after rebuilding it.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuning carb after rebuilding it.

Yes I just recently rebuilt my 1960 thunderbird carb however i need to know how you go about fine tuning it? I push the throttle rapidly from a stand still and it seems to bog a little bit and then pick up. Any help is greatly appreciated or ways to dial in this carb would help.

Thanks for your time

Stielow
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Tuning carb after rebuilding it.

When you rebuilt the carburetor, did you rebuild the accelerator pump? The bog is probably due to the primary accelerator pump not giving enough of a shot of fuel. If you did rebuild, it can be adjusted by putting the rod in a different hole on the lever.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

I think i mixed up my venturis but one of them on the top is marked l and the other r probably for l and right. could someone tell me where the venturis go? I know I put in the check ball and weight now I just think I messed up the venturis on the carb is that possible?

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

I know the primary and the secondary venturies on Ford 4100 carburetor look similar, but I don't remember if it is possible to interchange them. I just rebuilt one of these carburetors six months ago. If it is any help, the primary venturi retaining screw is hollow to allow for the check ball and weight.

I will try to look at one of these carbs this weekend to see what the difference is between the two venturis.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

The secondary and primary venturis are nearly identical and can interchange, but only the primary venturis have the little brass injectors that squirt gas from the accelerator pump. If you did not install the venturis in the right spot, you will get a bad bog, because you will not get the shot of gas when you step on the accelerator.

You can see in the picture below that in the open semi-circle on the venturis, only the primaries have brass nozzles.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢