X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hunty
    Apprentice
    • May 28 2014

timing cover differences

hi all I've managed to get a recently rebuilt 352 fe, its out of an early model.
    I'm going to change over to the 63 and up style cam that uses the thrust plate.
    what I want to know is what are the differences in the timing cover? I've seen people say to change the cover as well, but why?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The only differences in the timing covers that I know of is the timing pointer. On early cars it is just a pointer, on later ones it shows the timing degrees. As far as the shape goes I believe they are all the same.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

I recently installed a '63 352 engine and the covers were different but don't know about the earlier 352's.

The '63 timing cover was different and the pointer did not work with my stock 1960 crankshaft damper timing mark.

On the left is my original '60 352. To the right is the '63 352 (C3SE on the timing cover). It is possible that the '63 engine I installed is out of a truck - may or may not make a difference but you can see a bulge in the timing cover on the '60 that is flat across on the '63.

Didn't change the timing covers because I made the assumption the timing pointer on the '63 engine would work but just wouldn't have the deg marks. Put the car all back together close to where it had been set previously and it wouldn't start.
      Wound up moving the distributor so that the timing mark on the damper is way above where the pointer is. I think the pointer on the '63 is "pointing" about 20-25 degrees advanced. May have worked if I had used the damper off the '63 engine but I wasn't sure of it's condition.

Looks like the '60 cover would fit on the '63 but not the other way around (unless there is nothing under that bulge on the '60).

(the ruler has nothing to do with the timing info - was just a pic I had handy from measuring pulley depths)

Eric

Comment

• hunty
        Apprentice
        • May 28 2014

Thanks guys, dkheld so the early cover fitted on the later, didn't hit anything? I don't know why people say to change them, the chain and sprockets aren't bigger are they?

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

The chain and sprockets are totally different. After Ford changed the FEs to the new cam, all the vendors dropped all the 'old' stuff, making those parts more expensive and less available.

You can get a double-roller true timing set for the new cam from Summit for US$40. Roller timing sets last three times longer than OEM.

Now, try pricing one for an early FE. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• hunty
            Apprentice
            • May 28 2014

I've got a complete comp cams kit coming, with chain and sprockets all to suit, problem is I don't want to wait all that time for it to come only to not be able to run it because of a cover maybe I should just get one just incase

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Wait and try it. Pay attention to the fuel pump clearance. I think they both take the same fuel pump. But, how the gears and pump are situated may be different between years. I see nothing wrong with using the later cover.

In any event, degree your cam/crank. It takes no money, but a little of your time. I also advance my cam by four degrees.

When you find TDC, FILE a small notch in your pulley (not the damper) and paint it yellow. - Dave

BTW, does your newer block have drilled and tapped holes for the thrust plate?

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• hunty
                Apprentice
                • May 28 2014

I've got a mates shop putting it in as I don't have the time unfortunately. Na the block itself is a 59 model block, so I'll have to tap the holes. I've got a thrust plate coming too 😊

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• hunty
                    Apprentice
                    • May 28 2014

For those interested, my engines almost done I'm just waiting on one of the heads to be done.
                    The comp cams kit came with a cam that had a built in spacer to miss the thrust plate which ment I didn't have to hunt for the washer, which apparently is impossible to get here in Aust
                    Timing cover is on and all fitted fine with the old cover, so I don't know why people say to change them apart from the timing marks.
                    Should be nice when it's done, I'm going to have to post photos.
                    Last edited by hunty; October 27, 2014, 04:49 AM. Reason: mis spelled words

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

The thrust washer substitute is a function of the new timing sprocket, not the new cam.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎