X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NYsquarebird58
    Experienced
    • Feb 6 2012

Carburetor Identification

This is the Holley carb that came on my squarebird. Can anyone identify what model Holley this is?

The car bogs badly under load. I have to baby it up hills. If I give it too much gas under load the engine bogs and stalls. It'll rev all day long and idle beautifully when there is no load on the engine.

I still have things to check like the timing chain tension and distributor but any info on the carb would help too.

VTCI# 11860
    58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Marcelo, it would probably help ID it, if you have any pictures that show any lettering or codes on the outside of the carb. All I could see was the word Holley.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• arizonajack
      Experienced
      • Oct 15 2013

Likely a 4160 according to this list:

Mustang and Ford carbutetors. Holley 4160 series. 1967 Shelby GT500 Carburetors. 427 Galaxie carburetors. Casting Identification ID.

The number should be stamped on the air horn according to the following picture:

You'll have to take your air cleaner off to see it.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There should be a part number on the front of the air horn. Check your vacuum advance. A blown diaphragm could cause the symptoms you describe.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
          Experienced
          • Feb 6 2012

I wanted to replace my vacuum advance, but I cant find a new vacuum advance that accepts the screw in hard line. I'd like to keep the hard line; one less rubber hose to deteriorate.

Any idea who still makes these?
          VTCI# 11860

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Concours Parts shows one in their catalog but there's no price so I guess you'd have to call to see if it's still available.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
              Experienced
              • Feb 6 2012

Thank you! I checked the Bird's nest and Mac's, but didn't think to check Concourse. Hopefully the fact that it doesn't have a price doesn't mean it's discontinued.
              Attached Files
              VTCI# 11860

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

Marcelo:
                Before you replace the vacuum advance, why not just do a quick test and see if it holds vacuum? You can also watch your point plate, by removing the distributor cap, to see if it is moving when you apply vacuum.
                When you say the car is bogging down under load, does it feel like it is fuel starved? Could be several things: Fuel pump test for pressure and volume; Bad Power valve in carburetor. Plugged fuel filter or screen in gas tank.
                My experience with Holley's is that the gaskets to the power valve would go bad, and then the power valve would stay open and cause the car to run rich to the point of fouling the plugs. Never had one hang in the closed position, but that is just me.
                These are all some pretty easy things to check.
                Nyles

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 6 2012

My fuel system is all new from the tank to the inline fuel pump just before the carb. I also have a Pertronix setup in my distributor.
                  VTCI# 11860

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

This is the kind of weather that is suited for carb rebuilding because you can do it inside. The carb is only held on by four nuts and two fuel lines.

ID your carb, check availability of kits, then take it off the car. I understand rebuild kits do not include power valves, and you want to order all your parts at the same time. Buy good carb cleaner. Brake cleaner doesn't do it.

So find a comfy, well-lit bench to work at, get your camera ready, and put the carb in a cardboard box. As you take the screws out, put them in trays or baggies and start taking pictures. At some point, you will know what parts are bad, so you can order them.

Pay attention to details, because there are parts that tend to fall out and you need to know where they came from and which way they go. Other than that, cleaning is straight forward. Don't spray your camera.

For cleaning the little tiny holes, and it's important you do, I strip stranded copper wire (like #12) and use one of the strands. Stranded copper wire is usually 19-strand so the strands get bigger as wire sizes get smaller. Copper is nice and soft; it won't change hole sizes. All you need is four inch pieces.

If dirt is in there, the wire will dislodge it as the carb cleaner breaks it down. That little red tube on the carb cleaner nozzle works wonders. Be prepared to be baptized by carb cleaner. - Dave

(BTW, pare your posted picture size down to 800px wide.)
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• arizonajack
                      Experienced
                      • Oct 15 2013

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                      Be prepared to be baptized by carb cleaner.
                      Or buy a 1 gallon or 5 gallon can of ChemTool carb cleaner with a strainer basket and soak your parts.

A lot less mess and the carb cleaner is reusable.
                      Last edited by simplyconnected; November 27, 2013, 06:03 PM. Reason: fixed the quote

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Marcelo, Bob's Bird House in Delaware has a Distributor Vacuum Advance in used condition listed on their website for $65. I have nooo idea why they are asking that much for a used unit! Here is the link.

http://store.bobsbirdhouse.com/vacuu...sed-p2681.aspx

Mac's has two of them listed on their website, one for less than $25. That one has the same part # as in your picture below.

http://macsautoparts.com/distributor.../559/start/24/

First you need to find out if that unit is causing the problem or not. As Dave says, don't throw money at parts if you don't need to. Or something like that....
                        Last edited by YellowRose; November 27, 2013, 09:47 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎