X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danowens3
    Experienced
    • Dec 29 2005

Speedo Noise

Today I replaced the speedo cable and gear in my 60 hardtop. Was a pretty easy job and needed to since my speedo would jump around up to 10 mph. Now the speedo is holding steady but I am hearing a noise that seems to be coming from the cable. I was very careful so it should not have any kinks or anything. Any suggestions on what may be causing the whining noise? I have tried the speedo cable into the speedomete at several lengths and it just keeps making the noise. It is not obnoxious, but was not there before. Any suggestions, tips, or options would be appreciated. Thank you, Dan
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Dan:

I also have a 60 HT with a speedo wobble up to 15 MPH.

Did you try lubing it with liquid graphite cable lube?

I need to replace mine -- where did you get your cable, and about what was the cost?

Thanks
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• danowens3
      Experienced
      • Dec 29 2005

Bart,

I did try lubing the old cable with graphite from and auto parts store and it helped a lot. Did a good job cleaning it and put in just enough graphite. That is how I got down to about a 10 mile an hour swing.

Last year I purchased the new speedo cable and it was about $35. Also purchased the retainer and seal which were only a buck or two and the new gear was around $10. It has made a big difference, just now I have this whining. Guess it is better to be more accurate on the road especially how the car likes to move up and down the road.

Dan

Comment

• danowens3
        Experienced
        • Dec 29 2005

Bart,

Forgot to mention, Concours Parts in CA is where I got the parts. They are super easy to work with.

Dan

Comment

• danowens3
          Experienced
          • Dec 29 2005

I meant in NV

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎