No announcement yet.

58 Rear suspension

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

58 Rear suspension

I am trying to find parts for a friends 58 tbird I am about to start work on. All the different websites I have checked show leaf spring parts but this on has coils. Does the convertible have leafs? Or do they just not make these parts? Is this the only squarebird that has coils?
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

58 Rear suspension

Hi Mac, and welcome to Squarebirds! I am glad we got your user id squared away so you could post. You might look at this post on this forum. It looks like you both might be working towards the same thing. There is a break out of what the rear end looks like on this post. Here is that post.

Anyone have pictures of their 58's rear suspension?

It is my understanding that only the '58 had coils on it, including the convertible, if I am right. Then they went to leaf springs on the '59 and up. Check out what was said in the post above. You may find some help there.
    Last edited by YellowRose; January 12, 2009, 01:59 AM. Reason: Additional Comments

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• GTE427
      Super-Experienced
      • Oct 9 2007

The 1958 Thunderbird, Hardtop and Convertible, was the sole year that coils were used out back. I've read that Ford intended to offer the 'Aire Suspension' option on the Fairlane and Thunderbird. The Fairlane did go into production, was troublesome and the option was dropped, the option never made it to the Thunderbird and since the Aire Suspension was dropped, leaf springs rear suspension was used the following years.

As for rebuild parts, the bushings for the 58 Thunderbird rear suspension are not being reproduced and must be found as NOS. These parts are said to be available in around the $750 to $1000 price range, not easily found and may not include all the bushing required. Search this site as this topic was dicussed within the last year.
      Ken
      1959 J Convertible
      1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• RustyNCa
        Super-Experienced
        • May 31 2007

Originally posted by 914galaxie
        I am trying to find parts for a friends 58 tbird I am about to start work on. All the different websites I have checked show leaf spring parts but this on has coils. Does the convertible have leafs? Or do they just not make these parts? Is this the only squarebird that has coils?
        If you find a good source for those parts, let me know

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
          Experienced
          • Mar 31 2004

58 Rear Bushings

Rare Parts in Calif has reproduced the entire set of bushings. I have not looked in a long time at their website so do not know if they still have the sets in stock. They will be pricey but as of today they are the only game in town that I know of. I supplied a couple of the control arms they used to make the set.

Good Luck
          Fuz
          58's&64's
          Sun Prairie, Wi. tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

58 Rear suspension

Their website is still operational.. http://www.rareparts.com/

Click on Products What We Sell or you can call them. There is a Buy Online, Get It Now section but you have to know the part number you want. You can go into that section without having an account and put in your car year, make, model and Ford part number you need. I tried this for the Front End and got a listing of parts available. I tried it for the Suspension and did not get anything. It came up with a list of parts for both, but when I clicked on 1958 FORD THUNDERBIRD, V8 I did not get anything. You try or contact them by phone or email to see what they have available for a '58 Tbird.
            Last edited by YellowRose; January 13, 2009, 10:50 AM. Reason: Grammer correction

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• GTE427
              Super-Experienced
              • Oct 9 2007

Fuz,

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know.
              Ken
              1959 J Convertible
              1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• GTE427
                Super-Experienced
                • Oct 9 2007

I found and attached an illustration of the Fairlane Aire Suspension. Those familiar with the 58 TBird suspension will see that the platform was set for the Aire Suspension with Air Bags to be offerd as an option. The front shocks on the 58 Bird were outboard on the coils, the rear suspension were coil springs. Comparing the 58 to the 59/60, the front shocks moved to pass thru the front coils and leafs replace the rear coils on the 59/60.
                Attached Files
                Ken
                1959 J Convertible
                1960 J Hardtop

Comment

OK folks, I found a lot of information in my archives on 58 rear suspension bushings, however it is all 8-10 years old. I even found Fuz's email about Rare parts from 1999. the info I have is quite voluminous think I will post it all in a new post separate from this one. There are names and email contacts that perhaps can be followed up on for making and fabricating new bushings. Look for my posting entitled "58 Rear Bushing archived information".

Best Birding,
                  Jed Zimmerman
                  58ht in MN

Comment

• frank58
                    Super-Experienced
                    • May 28 2006

This is supposed to be the kit from Rare parts... I don't remember where I got this pic from, but it has a part number.

Comment

• Dutchbird
                      Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Back in 2003/2004 I also had big problems with some bushings of my rear suspension on my '58. I searched for nearly two years (almost gave up and considered the strangest solutions and alternative ways to fix the problem so I could drive again) But my dream was to keep the car as original as possible so I took the time. I live in the Netherlands -Europe- and we need an inspection on cars every year by the goverment to drive it on public roads. I didn't passed the test that year so I had no permission to drive my car any longer. Just looking at my T-bird for a long time doesn't make you a happy guy, but I finally purchased the bushings I needed. I'm not sure what parts you need for your friends car but I will dig in my archives to help, if you like.

(Hope my English is not that bad.......)

Marco
                      Holland
                      '58 Ht

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

58 Rear suspension

Hi Marco,

Welcome back to the Forum! It is great to see someone from your country posting again! Hopefully, you will be able to find the information you have and share it with us. As for your English, it is excellent!
                        Last edited by YellowRose; January 21, 2009, 11:08 AM. Reason: Spelling!

Comment

• tbird430
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jun 18 2007

Your english may be better than mine...

-Jon in Texas.
                          sigpic
                          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• lincolnguy
                            • Oct 5 2007

Hi there
                            As the manufacturer of the 58/59 Lincoln rear suspension kit which has coils the same as the birds,maybe I could do a bunch of sets,if there is enough interest.
                            Are all the parts hard to find or only certain ones in the kit ?

Mike

Comment

• RustyNCa
                              Super-Experienced
                              • May 31 2007

Marco, if you spend much time reading forums, etc. trust me, your English is better than 95% of the people that think they know it.... I'm not sure that is because they don't know any better or if they are kinda lazy, like I can get when I type on these forums.

Originally posted by lincolnguy
                              Hi there
                              As the manufacturer of the 58/59 Lincoln rear suspension kit which has coils the same as the birds,maybe I could do a bunch of sets,if there is enough interest.
                              Are all the parts hard to find or only certain ones in the kit ?

Mike
                              If you could come up with a reasonably priced kit, I would be happy to get one. I am sure when I look at those cracked and dried up bushings in my 58's rear, that original suspension is probably done.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎