X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m81
    • Aug 28 2007

1959 New owner questions

Hello folks,

I purchased a 1959 hard top about a month ago. 352, AT, PW, PB, PS, and A/C (that works!). The previous owner restored the car in 1999, including rebuilding the engine. Paint, etc. Not a perfect show car- but a fun drive to the bakery with the kids.

I've replaced the master cyl, front seat foam (for some reason during the last restore the only part of the seating that was not redone was the front seat bottom foam), and a bunch of smaller items.

I would like to get some advice on is the basic maintenance items. My engine has some blow by- the mechanic (who knew the mechanic that rebuilt the engine) thinks the rings may not have seated properly. Adding a PCV did not help much. I am considering adding an additive to control it.

What kind of oil are you running? I run Mobile 1 in all my other cars- but this is a 47-year-old engine.

What off the shelf oil filter can I use, or do I need something unique to this car?

Lubrication points?

Power steering fluid and coolant recommendations?

Last- and I'm embarrassed to even ask this one- there are 3 vent caps- one on each valve cover and one at the front of the engine that it appears I could put the oil in- does it matter which one. Sorry- I've only owned cars with one oil fill.

Thank you- I know these questions are probably asked often, but my forum searches didn’t seem to turn up all the answers.

Erik
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

4 qts of Castroil dino oil, 20/50 w/one pint of GM Eng Oil Supl part # 1052367 (if you can still find it) If you don't drive it much, change oil every 3-6 months regardless of mi.
    The orig 350 in my 72 El Camino went 243K mi with that very combo. I swear by it. On thing's for **** sure . . . It can't hurt it.

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

First of all, conrat's. U made a was choice and investment, welcome aboard.

I use 5 qrts. 10/30 year road with a Motorcraft filter.

The original 352cid valve covers were solid w/o holes, so these are off a newer engine. The oil filler cap was the ONLY beathing passage for the crankcase; And the road draft tube at the back edge of the intake manifold. So I don't know what to tell u hear....

Buy an owners manual for the coolant and chassis lube points.
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

Welcome.

I use synthetic oil(10W30) in my Squarebirds for more than ten years. You may want to drop the oil pan to check for sludge and to see if the oil pickup screen is clogged. It can prevent disaster.

The capacity of the 352 engine is 6 quarts including the oil filter. Get a shop manual and owners manual. Both are available in reproduction.
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

After what happened to my 352 I would pull the valve covers and make sure the umbrella seals are ok.

Those seals had gone brittle on my car and when one of the stray pieces froze the oil pump, broke the oil pump shaft, then lost all oil pressure on the freeway, well, it didn't do the motor much good. By the time we got the car out of traffic it was already knocking.

I bought a pretty fresh 390 from a guy and discovered the seals were all dried out on it as well, the seals were pretty cheap and not that bad to change out. I am now running the 390 with new seals and an upgraded ARP oil pump shaft and feel much better about it. And I am running Mobile One in it.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎