X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Bad Battery

For the millions out there wondering if the group 27 battery will fit in the battery tray on the Squarebird without hitting the upper radiator hose - the answer is YES!!!

As a bonus the group 27 has nearly double the CCA of the standard group 29 battery made to fit the Squarebird (810 vs 420). May not be original looking and you'll have to resort to the "red-neck" hold down strap (proud to be one ) but works great.

(I plan on making a group 27 holder similar to the group 29)

The terminals are inboard close to the inner fender whereas the group 29 was outboard but I didn't see a problem. (that is if you keep the + post close to the starter solenoid) Couldn't get a good shot with the hood closed but plenty of clearance between the + post and hood.

The Motorcraft battery lasted 6 years. Went to the same shop to buy another but they were out of stock and could not get another. May have been able to get one at the Ford dealer but - had a coupon for $15 off, plus a $5 credit and a bonus $20 for my next $50 purchase at Advance Auto so hard to pass that up. Total price was with tax was $100 which is what the old Motorcraft group 29 cost back in 2010.

Humm - since I bought this battery I've installed a new engine, new radiator, new upper hose, new valve covers......looks a little different under there.

Eric
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Here are some pics of a battery hold down I made for group 27 battery. Worked like a champ.
    Nyles
    Attached Files

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

Thinking I was blazing new ground but Nyles is way ahead.

That's exactly what I had planned for a hold down strap Nyles and yours looks GREAT!!

Eric

Comment

• partsetal
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 4 2005

The 27F was the optional battery for the Squarebird and the hold down is readily available as are the hold down bolts.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Hogan
          Apprentice
          • May 21 2016

Looks very nice. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎