X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tp tbird
    Experienced
    • Dec 17 2007

Transmission not going in reverse

The other day I took my 430 59 tbird out for a ride around town it backed out of the garage fine and drove maybe 5 miles came back and put it in the garage,today I got in it to drive around a little and put in reverse to back out and had no reverse ,but it would go forward and I could see the reverse lights come on when I put it in reverse.I have not got under it to see if something came loose on the linkage ,but I will maybe tomorrow..The transmission was rebuild and new torque converter installed about 600 miles ago.Any suggestions?
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Transmission Not Going In Reverse

Hi Thomas, I moved this out of the 430 Engine Forum because this is a tranny problem, it seems, and not an engine problem. In fact, if you look in this Forum below this for "Cruise-o-matic lost reverse questions" you will find this subject recently covered in this thread. You might find some helpful comments there.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• RustyNCa
      Super-Experienced
      • May 31 2007

Originally posted by tp tbird
      The other day I took my 430 59 tbird out for a ride around town it backed out of the garage fine and drove maybe 5 miles came back and put it in the garage,today I got in it to drive around a little and put in reverse to back out and had no reverse ,but it would go forward and I could see the reverse lights come on when I put it in reverse.I have not got under it to see if something came loose on the linkage ,but I will maybe tomorrow..The transmission was rebuild and new torque converter installed about 600 miles ago.Any suggestions?
      Call and ask what kind of warranty you have?

Comment

• tp tbird
        Experienced
        • Dec 17 2007

430 trans

The company is out of business now,and it has been a couple years when I had it done.

Comment

• Howard Prout
          Experienced
          • Feb 11 2009

I had a somewhat similar problem with a transmission warranty. When I had my engine rebuit, I had the transmission rebuilt as well. The shop that does my mechanical work farmed the transmission job out to a Mr. Transmission franchisee. A little over a year later I had a problem with the transmission. In the mean time, the franshisee had gone out of business. Corporate Mr. Transmisson said it was out of warranty and wouldn't do anything about it even though it had less than 1000 miles on it. So I ended up paying for a new rebuild (actually the shop picked up half the cost). They ended up getting it rebuilt by another Mr. Transmission franchisee, but one who supposed had a great deal of experience with COM transmissions. It turned out that the first one used the wrong kit. The seond guy ended up using some parts he had saved. I haven't had any problems after the last rebuild.
          sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• tp tbird
            Experienced
            • Dec 17 2007

Originally posted by tp tbird
            The company is out of business now,and it has been a couple years when I had it done.
            I got my trans fixed ,it was the strut,it split in half.Five dollar part and $135 fix pluse oil.They used one from a C4 that looked to be the same after I found a picture of it on Ebay to show the shop guy.

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Tom! Thanks for letting us know what you found and that you got it fixed. It could have been a lot worse!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎