No announcement yet.

car wont start

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Calvin,
    If this does not work, do as Dave said about the connections! I would take battery cables loose, clean them and battery post. Take solenoid connection loose and clean them. Take battery ground loose from block and clean. Take positive loose from starter (this is going to be aggravating) and clean!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

Originally posted by 1fordnut
      an taking a screwdriver to the posts never heard of this what I am looking for here? An the posts on the solenoid & this is a top post battery. Could I have had something come lose inside the starter itself when we hit a few potholes bringing it in on a autotransport trailer?
      See the solenoid I posted? Your wire comes from the battery to it. Take screwdriver and touch it and the short screw stud on top close to it, see if she tries to turn over (DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING THING ELSE WITH SCREWDRIVER! ONCE YOU HAVE SCREWDRIVER TOUCHING BATTERY POST ON SOLENOID IT HAS 12 VOLT AT SCREWDRIVER)
      There should not have been anything break in starter during transport!

Comment

• 1fordnut
        • Aug 7 2012

ok I will try that an see what happens

Comment

Calvin,
          Keep me posted I will check on you periodically through out the day. Wife's wanting me to get started on honey-do-list
          Richard D. Hord

Comment

• 1fordnut
            • Aug 7 2012

one reason i am glad I am single no honey do list just 2 german shepards to deal with.

Comment

• 1fordnut
              • Aug 7 2012

got the car started it was a bad ground an a wire that came loose on the neutral safety switch relay. Now just got to see why the emergency brake wont release an the starter is still kicking in after the car is running other than that I should be good with it.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

...the starter is still kicking in after the car is running...
                There is only one wire that starts your car. It begins at the key switch on the START center post, goes to the Neutral Switch, and finally ends at the Start Solenoid.

Trace this wire. Be sure it is wired correctly from beginning to end. The only way your starter should operate is with the key in the START position.

Glad to hear you found ground problems. Richard Hord is great at troubleshooting starter problems. Listen to and follow his advice. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 1fordnut
                  • Aug 7 2012

Could the key switch be bad?

Comment

• scumdog
                    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Could the key switch be bad?
                    Maybe, or maybe the solenoid is stuck?
                    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• 1fordnut
                      • Aug 7 2012

Its got a new solenoid an voltage regulator on it.

Comment

• Yadkin
                        Banned
                        • Aug 11 2012

I read this thread from the beginning and the first thing I thought of was a bad ground. High humidity and rust can cause all sorts of problems where high amp connections don't flow while low amp connections do. This is why you couldn't start the car in the beginning and is probably the reason why your starter stays engaged.

Locate all your ground connections, take them apart, clean them and reassemble. Those all all high-amp connections (big wires) and corrosion can insulate the connections.

Next take your ignition switch apart and look at the contacts closely for corrosion. This is a low-amp circuit (small wires) and corrosion can cause current to "leak". A light spray of silicone can correct most current leak problems.

Also you might take a close look at your starter and make sure that the gear runs freely on the engagement shaft. If you have some old grease on there this may prevent it from disengagement.

Comment

• 1fordnut
                          • Aug 7 2012

will check all that out an let you know.

Comment

• Mscharfie
                            Apprentice
                            • Sep 9 2012

Alternator

I cleaned the terminals that attach to the alternator and attached the battery cables. There was no smoke. I went to turn over the car and nothing again, tested the battery and had 12.44V... Looks like I have to go over to pep boys to charge it and try again tomorrow.

Will keep you updated,
                            Mike

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Mscharfie
                              ... tested the battery and had 12.44V... Looks like I have to go over to pep boys to charge it and try again tomorrow...
                              Charge what, Mike? If the battery is up, it doesn't need more charge.

Are you using a meter? If so, I will assume that your key circuit works; put one prod on the NEG battery post and test the Starter Relay post. If you have +12 then, put one prod on the POS battery post and check chassis ground. If you don't have 12-volts your ground is bad.

Notice I called for you to use the battery post, NOT the clamp.
                              BTW, can you hear the Starter Relay click-in? - Dave
                              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Mscharfie
                                Apprentice
                                • Sep 9 2012

Progress

I got the battery in the car and heard the starter relay click in when I hooked it up. I was able to get the engine to crank and fire when gas was poured in the carburetor. The engine seems to run fine as long as gas goes directly to the carb but the carb is not getting any gas from the fuel pump. What could cause the pump to not work? I also disconnected both lines to the pump and attached a line to a gas can and a line out. When I cranked the engine nothing came from the line out? Could this be a broken diaphragm?

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎