Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuilt Tri-Power unit for my 62 M-Code.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello to everyone. I wanted to post some pics of my rebuilt Tri-Power unit. I am fortunate in that I only live about 15 miles from Joe Bunetic. Probably one of the leading authorities on the restoration of these units. The attention to detail is outstanding! Let me know what you think. Joe did Jim Wulfs Tri-power. I'll be posting more pics as I progress with my M-code restoration. Thanks, Dr. Mike
    Attached Files

Beautiful ...

perhaps not the ultimate in performance, though certainly not bad. They are amazing eye candy and sound remarkable when you put your foot to the floor. Mike

Comment

• RustyNCa
      Super-Experienced
      • May 31 2007

Oh man that is nice..... looking at a goal for me

Comment

• bird 60
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 18 2009

Looks Sweet, Waiting to see it in the Engine Bay real soon.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

That is absolutely beautiful! You are fortunate to live so close to Joe Bunetic! That is a great looking job!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• KULTULZ

!!!ABSOLUTELY BREATH TAKING!!!

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
              Experienced
              • Jan 5 2008

Bunetic reworked the carb bases for my '63, along with providing a bunch of parts to complete what had been a 22-year parts scrounging effort. Still have some things to work out with choke tube insulation, spring bracket and getting correct numbered carbs, but overall I'm very happy with his work.

Now my outstanding question, which has been raised amongst a lot of M-series researchers/owners, is whether the entire top of the air cleaner was polished, or if just the raised fins were polished and the flat areas flanking the ribs were a brushed finish. One person swears he has a NOS example finished as such, but I'm still looking for an absolute answer before spending a lot of time and effort redoing my oxidized original and polishing out an aftermarket one that I'll use on a spare engine.
              Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
              Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
              Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• RustyNCa
                Super-Experienced
                • May 31 2007

Have a question about the tri powers?

I am looking at a trade for a tri power, but the intake seems to be slanted? What is that intake for?

Just curious before I dive into it, I was thinking of either running it on the 58 or the 65 tbirds, but I am wondering if the intake is incorrect for that application.

IE, I know it is for an FE, but the angle of the carbs has me wondering....

thanks
                RustyNCA

Oh, the system looks a bit like this one... ie the same, just not as clean.

Last edited by RustyNCa; August 24, 2010, 06:07 PM.

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
                  Experienced
                  • Jan 5 2008

The picture is for a Galaxie-style tripower. Since the engine in a full-size Ford was installed at an angle and not level like the T-bird, the Galaxie-style intake was stair-stepped so that the rear carb was higher than the center carb and in turn the front carb. This is NOT what you want for a T-bird. Plus, Galaxie-style tripowers do not have a threaded opening beneath the center (primary) carb on the left/driver's side: T-birds have this opening for a threaded fitting for the PCV system that's unique to the 'Bird.

Originally posted by RustyNCa
                  I am looking at a trade for a tri power, but the intake seems to be slanted? What is that intake for?

Just curious before I dive into it, I was thinking of either running it on the 58 or the 65 tbirds, but I am wondering if the intake is incorrect for that application.

IE, I know it is for an FE, but the angle of the carbs has me wondering....

thanks
                  RustyNCA

Oh, the system looks a bit like this one... ie the same, just not as clean.

Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
                  Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
                  Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• RustyNCa
                    Super-Experienced
                    • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Alan H. Tast, AIA
                    The picture is for a Galaxie-style tripower. Since the engine in a full-size Ford was installed at an angle and not level like the T-bird, the Galaxie-style intake was stair-stepped so that the rear carb was higher than the center carb and in turn the front carb. This is NOT what you want for a T-bird. Plus, Galaxie-style tripowers do not have a threaded opening beneath the center (primary) carb on the left/driver's side: T-birds have this opening for a threaded fitting for the PCV system that's unique to the 'Bird.
                    Thanks Alan, I was looking at one like it, the guy just wanted to trade two 1405 carbs for it, which meant the system was going to cost me about $500, a very good deal, but not if I can't run it on one of the TBirds.

I suppose I could snag it up to keep in case I ever put an FE in the Model A, but it's hard to justify investing $500 right now in a project I may never do.... I would love to but....hard to get motivated to pull a good running motor and trans and start over.

Comment

• Toby Slyme
                      • Dec 30 2010

Very nice...I have this setup on my 66 and It IS Nice.....Have fun with it...

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎