Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headlights vs ignition strange issue !??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geoffreybusuttilmalta
    Experienced
    • Dec 9 2014

Yo friends... need totally help on this one.. am noticing that after leaving the 59 bird on for minutes .. and switched on headlamps. The car stalled all of a suddrn and went off... i totally cant figure out why... recently i changed to an eletronic ignition ... does it affect this .. or maybe someone encountered this before ?🤔🤔🤔

Need help ... so at least i can speak to the electrician with some clue.. next monday i m gonna take it to the guy but would love to knpw what could lead to this pleassee

Much regarss

Geoffrey
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

What electronic ignition system are you using? Did you remove the coil resistor so it gets full 12 volts.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Frango100
      Experienced
      • May 2 2016

Did you measure the battery voltage and if the alternator is charging?
      sigpicFrank
      1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
      Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
        Experienced
        • Dec 9 2014

Originally posted by jopizz
        What electronic ignition system are you using? Did you remove the coil resistor so it gets full 12 volts.

John
        I bought one from the internet and also had another coil with it ... changed everything. I findnit very srange as it looks like when switching on headlamps its like the car goes off

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You didn't answer either of my questions. All systems have a brand name that have instructions. Some require 12V to the coil and some don't. The coil resistor is on the firewall. Did you bypass it. If the voltage gets too low (when you turn the headlights on) the coil won't be able to provide enough spark and the car will shut off.

John

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Geoff, you have a '59 like I do. The coil resistor (what I know as the ballast resistor) as John said, is located on the firewall to the left of the drivers side hood latch. Here are some pix as to what it looks like. To get the 12v needed for your coil, it is my understanding that you disconnect the red wire and the yellow wire from the coil/ballast resistor and connect them together. John can correct me if I have this wrong. That will eliminate the resistor and should give you the 12v you need at the coil.
            Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
              Experienced
              • Dec 9 2014

Originally posted by jopizz
              You didn't answer either of my questions. All systems have a brand name that have instructions. Some require 12V to the coil and some don't. The coil resistor is on the firewall. Did you bypass it. If the voltage gets too low (when you turn the headlights on) the coil won't be able to provide enough spark and the car will shut off.

John
              Sorry john coz i was jot at the garage and goy the box there.. i m sure i bought it from ebay... will check the brand name and get back to u my friend. As far as i know the mechanic removed the old coil and put it the new one... xcuse my lack of eletrical knowledge.. but im truly no expert in this field.. as soon as i be at the garage i ll send pics and brand name mate thanks

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
                Experienced
                • Dec 9 2014

Originally posted by YellowRose
                Geoff, you have a '59 like I do. The coil resistor (what I know as the ballast resistor) as John said, is located on the firewall to the left of the drivers side hood latch. Here are some pix as to what it looks like. To get the 12v needed for your coil, it is my understanding that you disconnect the red wire and the yellow wire from the coil/ballast resistor and connect them together. John can correct me if I have this wrong. That will eliminate the resistor and should give you the 12v you need at the coil.
                Will speak bout this tomorrow withthe electrician... i am more than grate ful for sending pics my friends 🤗🤗

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
                  Experienced
                  • Dec 9 2014

the brand is speedmaster. would love to upload a picture .. but unfortunatley i am trying to do so .. and when trying to insert image.. its asking me for a url..

aaaaaa now is understand... in fact the ballast resistor is still there... with those wires connected on each end of the resistor.. i`ll try to join them together and start the engine and see if that affects it.. will keep updated..

much much thanks folks.

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
                    Experienced
                    • Dec 9 2014

hey there jo i went to the garage and bypassed the bottom and top wires from the ballast resistor. used a flat steel and slided on the both ends of the wires-sliders.. went for a quick test ride. and it seems to be ultra fine!. i remember sometime a go while pressing the gas pedal inoticed that engine used to sound kinda funny .. as if it wanted to run faster but engine made a bogglin sound. that to me sounds like its misfiring but the engine was properly timed sooo now i think that it was due to lack of current coming into the coilpack ..... please correct me if i am off track.... but anyway... thanks a lot for the help... imgonna rest peacefully tonight big 59 bird is happy too

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I looked up the Speedmaster electronic ignition system but I didn't find anything listed for Ford FE engines. However most aftermarket systems require full 12V to the coil so I suspect the ballast resistor was causing your problems. Glad to hear that it appears to be running fine now.

John

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I looked at the Speedmaster wiring diagrams for their ignition systems and they all require 12V to the coil with no ballast resistor in the circuit. You should be good to go now.

John

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
                          Experienced
                          • Dec 9 2014

Super youre awesome guys !! I ll have a beer for you here in malta

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎