• tully
    Experienced
    • Mar 7 2008

Disc brake conversion kit

Has anyone tried this one?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Most want to stay with the 14" wheel size. That kit requires a 15" wheel. I believe it's cheaper to buy the components separately when you break it down. This has been discussed a number of times in other threads.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

This kit doesn't lift the booster enough. It's ok for full size cars but not Squarebirds. I believe the rotors are stock Granada that have had the snouts turned down. The only problem with that is, if you need a replacement, it won't come off the shelf the way you need it.

Mustang rotors are more expensive but they use Squarebird OEM bearings and they fit all wheel centers (right off the shelf).

I cannot tell what booster they offer. Squarebirds really need a two-stage 8" for S-10 calipers. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tully
        Experienced
        • Mar 7 2008

ordered my scarebird bracket today

Ordered my scarebird bracket today, also rotor's and s-10 caplipers, but not sure what kind of hoses to get?

Dennis

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Get two for a 1978 Cadillac Seville (Raybestos BH36646). Rock auto price is $7.01/ea:

These are good and long. Left & Right are the same hose. Make sure you get four copper washers for your banjo bolts. They should come in the boxes with the brake hoses. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tully
            Experienced
            • Mar 7 2008

Got all the parts

Got all my parts for drum to disc but the master/booster set up, I was hoping to find one cheaper the $275...

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Disc brake conversion kit

Howard Prout and I got our dual master cyclinder/8" power booster IN CHROME from Old Irish Dave for $225, as I recall.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Ray, that was MINUS the firewall bracket.

Originally posted by tully
                Got all my parts for drum to disc but the master/booster set up, I was hoping to find one cheaper the $275...
                Now you know why I really don't have much love for this company. I estimate he is making $75 on the firewall bracket and hardware. We tried to find out who is manufacturing them (with no luck). Then we tried bargaining with the owner to buy just the firewall bracket. He wanted a minimum purchase of ten units at a ridiculous price. That's why Howard Prout engineered and fabricated his own. In fact, Howard made two sets, one for himself and one for Ray Clark. They are both working very well.

The upside is, you may not like the price but he HAS it for sale, and nobody else does. Now you have two choices. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tully
                  Experienced
                  • Mar 7 2008

another booster/master cylinder on ebay

I don't know if this would work or not? but it's cheap and shipping is cheaper

This is A 1957-59 ford full size power brake booster and master cylinder. This is A dual RESERVOIR master cylinder. This is designed to work with with drum brakes or with disc brakes. You will have to modify your brake lines to install this unit.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

The short answer is, No.
                    Look at the booster on eBay; a single stage which doesn't put out enough boost for disk brakes. Now compare it to the one in Marcelo's picture below. See the 'bump' in the can? There are two stages to Marcelo's booster and the whole thing is exactly the same diameter as an original 1960 booster (which was designed then, for drum brakes).

The eBay firewall bracket doesn't raise the booster enough for a Squarebird, but it does for a Fairlane. Full size Fords used different brake pedal supports, master cylinders, and the firewall bolt patterns are different. Notice how low your Squarebird master cylinder is on the firewall.

Years ago, I endeavored to find a solution for retrofitting inexpensive power disk brakes for a Squarebird. I spent many hours with Howard Prout, Ray Clark and Old Irish Dave at MBM Brakes, searching for good components. It struck me as very odd that across-the-counter kits are available for just about every other car and truck. Not Squarebirds, because there aren't enough of them out there.

The only reason Scarebird makes a bracket for Squarebirds is because the same bracket fits Fairlane & Galaxie. These Fords share the exact same spindle part numbers.

Ray Clark turned bone yards upside down looking for proper 14" wheels, then had his powder coated. We found wheels that allowed original hubcaps and tire sizes, and they neatly hid the calipers without any modifications. In other words, 'over the counter and direct bolt-on' parts. No grinding or machining.

When we came to the brake pedal, the cheapest and fastest way to retrofit is to find a 1960 Squarebird with power brakes, and use the original setup (from the brake pedal to the booster). The original firewall bracket must be separated from the booster by cutting off six rivets. Marcelo found that adding a 2" spacer allowed the new two-stage booster to be bolted directly on. Here is his setup:

The pedal rod from the 1960 power brake parts remained 'OEM-stock'.

Now we have THREE choices: buy the expensive kit from eBay, fabricate your own firewall bracket and pedal rod, or find a power brake setup from mid-59 thru 1960 with a Ford firewall bracket (and add a spacer). Nothing else seems to fit and/or it doesn't offer enough boost for S-10 calipers. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Aug 27 2008

Don't think that will lift the booster high enough and your master cyl will be dangerously close to the manifold.

You could always use the original Ford brake bracket and new booster as Marcelo did.
                      This Forum is for the discussion of adding a dual Master Cylinder, Dual 8" Power Booster, and Power Front Disc Brakes to the 1958, 1959 and 1960 Squarebird.

Carl Heller ( id - partsetal) would probably have a used unit he would sell.

Eric

Geez Dave - we were on the same page 4 minutes apart.....

Forgive me for butting into your post but I regard your opinion very highly, Eric. You have successfully retrofitted your Squarebird and folks need to draw from your experience. I am honored that we both agree. - Dave
                      Last edited by simplyconnected; December 5, 2012, 04:00 PM. Reason: Just to put my two cents in. - Dave

Comment

• tully
                        Experienced
                        • Mar 7 2008

Bit the big one today

I ordered the booster and master setup on ebay for $329 ouch, Also got my scarebird brackets in todays mail. Will start on the brakes next weekend when the booster gets here.. I also order two 1/4 inch spacers for the rims if I remember right I had to add spacers to my 59 Ranchero to let stock rims fit.

Dennis

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

Why rim spacers? Proper rims don't use them. Your original rims won't work, either. They don't have a relief (a bulge) in the inside of the wheel for caliper clearance.

Check this 14" wheel out:

If you look at the bottom LH side, you will find a valve stem hole. That side is the front. (Howard is measuring the back.)

Look at the bottom of the rim, where it contrasts with the snow. The back (RH) side has a bulge to accommodate the caliper. All the spacers in the world won't help, but a wheel made for a disk brake car will work. So will all 15" wheels. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tully
                            Experienced
                            • Mar 7 2008

disc spacers

The reason I order some spacers was when I did my 59 the rims would not fit either so added 1/4 spacer and my stock rims worked fine,

Comment

• DKheld
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Aug 27 2008

Originally posted by DKheld
                              I am honored that we both agree. - Dave
                              Heh - much appreciated Dave - same here.

Dennis - My original wheels may have cleared if I had machined the snout of the rotor smaller to fit the smaller center hole on the drum wheels but like Dave mentions - disc brake wheels would be the best route. I'm a bit skeptical on the spacers too - hopefully it will be that easy. Won't you need longer studs in the rotor also to compensate for the spacer?
                              Might try keeping an eye out for some (1974-77ish) Granada, or LTD 14 inch wheels. I used the LTD and they worked fine even used the original hubcaps.

Good luck on the project.......

Eric

ps - you anywhere near Belleview Fl? Used to go there every summer.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎