X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hazegray53
    Apprentice
    • Jan 9 2015

Camshaft bolt and spring

What is the purpose of the spring over the cam bolt? Is the spring suppose to be positioned over the keeper or does that keeper actually hold the spring?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

The purpose of the spring is to pre-load the cam so the front flange is against the block. Notice there is no thrust plate.

Here are assembly instructions:
    Install the fuel pump eccentric and the camshaft sprocket cap screw and thrust button spring retainer. Tighten the sprocket cap screw to specifications. Install the camshaft thrust button spring and thrust plate button. Install the crankshaft front oil slinger.

So, the bolt holds the eccentric and spring retainer. Then, the spring and button are installed.

I'm not a big fan of this system. I like a simple thrust plate. Later FEs use the thrust plate and you can too IF you drill and tap two holes, buy a new cam (1963 and later) and thrust plate. The cam sprocket comes with a new roller chain set (1963 and later). - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Hazegray53
      Apprentice
      • Jan 9 2015

Ok I get it now. The motor has already been rebuilt so I probably won't be putting in a different cam anytime soon or drilling any holes. Of course one of the spring retainer tabs broke on me. Any idea where I can get a new one?

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎