No announcement yet.

POWER STEERING CONTROL VALVE -LINE REPL

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

POWER STEERING CONTROL VALVE -LINE REPL

Hi! I have a 60 TBIRD and I needed to replace the outer & inner Tie rods on the Driver side(left side). Once replaced the steering was really goofy. Now after looking at the part it doesn't look exactly the same as the old. The parts guy I called swears it the correct inner rod.(TB HDQTRS) In addition, when I drove it a short 4 blks, it seem to rupture onE of the lines 4 CONNECTED TO the Control Valve. The line in question is not broken but looks smashed and is leaking. It's a metal line that is screwed into the Control Valve the other end of the metal line is just clampled to a power steering hose.
    Question is, what is this part called and where do I order it from.

Any help would be appreciated. The summer is slowly dwindling down, and I would like to have my car ready for cruising the Dream Cruise in Detriot ON THE 20TH.

Thanks everyone!
    :-(

RE: POWER STEERING CONTROL VALVE -LINE REPL

I just replaced all 4 P/S lines on my '58 as well as getting the power ram rebuilt for about $200. The 2 lines going to the ram appear to be identical on my year car and are made of rubber with metal brakeline-like fittings on either end. I had to gorilla-tighten these fittings but they still seem to weep a little A/T fluid. The 2 fatter hoses go to the P/S pump. They also leaked (except for the line returning fluid to the P/S pump reservoir).

Drive your car up on a set of ramps and then carefully turn the steering wheel. Crawl under the car and observe where the steering linkage is hitting the hose and damaging it. If you don't want to order them from a T-Bird supplier, take your old hoses and bring them to an auto parts store that advertises that they make up hydraulic hoses.

Been there, done that.

Comment

Thanks, I 'll try that. I never seen leaks before this, and the one, (the only one) really leaks. I think since this fitting goes to the power steering pump and that end is just clamped, I might be able, as you say, to find some one to make the flare and then slide the nut over it to screw back into the control valve.

Jack

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

Did you check to see if the tie rod end sleeve clamps are interfering with the hoses on the control valve? You may need to rotate the end with the bolt to the front of the car.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

I think I place the sleeve and bolts down but I check again. I did this job late at night in the garage. Which, I know I committed a cardinal sin by not checking underneath the car first after I had the wheel on and the car down. Simple things that you know you should do but you forget to do when you're tired seem to bite you in the butt big time.

Thanks for the advise.

I still think the inner tie rod is wrong. I am ordering another one from a different place. If it's matching the orginal, I am in. Then I 'll need to fix that metal line to the control valve.
          Too bad there's no picture of the difference between a 58 and a 60 LH inner tie rod.
          -Jack

Comment

I checked on Mac's Auto Parts website (lots of pictures) and the part numbers for a 1958 are different from the 1959-60 inner tie rods. Unfortunately, when you click on the picture icon, they are both of the same 1958 items.

Comment

Yes, I try Mac's auto also and your right the pictures are the same no matter what, but Alexander was right, the clamp bolts were hitting the control valve. I turn them, but there is not alot of clearance. The old inner tie rod has more of a bend and therefore it will give more clearance. I am expecting another inner tie rod today and hopefully that will have the correct bend for clearance.
              In the mean time, I still need to fix the metal tube that runs from the control valve to the power steering pump. I got it off, and since it's cut right at the end of the nut, I'll have to cut it off there, and flare it, get and extension to mate it back to the flex hose.
              Oh well!
              Thanks- Jack

Comment

I still have a problem with the fittings on my P/S lines leaking AT fluid. I pulled the 2 original(?) hoses that go to the P/S ram out of my junk pile and cleaned them off with carb cleaner spray. I noticed that the rubber hose was not cracked, split or in any other way perished. When I removed the replacement hoses that I had gorilla-tightened (had to use vise-grips on one fitting), I compared the fittings and noticed that the old units had a smaller hole but more area in the "cone" that mates to the ram and control valve unit. I put the old hoses back on the car, started the engine and now there does not appear to be any leakage at the fittings. You might consider taking your old hoses to a car parts shop that makes up hydraulic hoses and have then reproduce your hose and fittings for a better replacement part.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎