This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:12 PM

grobb284 is on a distinguished road
Default Question on positioning yellow wire for Power Seats, and windshield washer hoses

Question on positioning yellow wire for Power Seats: Does it go as is into the 4 metal clips on the top of the firewall, with the taped harness, or does it stay out of the metal clips and just secured to the taped harness with the three metal ty-raps?

Question on windshield washer hoses, do they go into the four metal clips on the top of the firewall, or does it stay out of the metal clips and just secured to the taped harness with the metal ty-raps?
Old 02-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Yellow means full +12-volts and usually UN-fused. It should be well insulated and supported at close intervals. The use of metal tyraps scares me. I would rather see you use plastic or nylon. Wires wrapped into a harness is a good idea that works well. Use Split Loom or Braided Loom and tape the ends of the loom. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-28-2012, 07:25 AM
Experienced

tmjsong1aolcom is on a distinguished road

Part of the answer to your ?? is which year bird do you own?

Have different ways of attaching the pieces depending on the year.

Good Luck
Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi
tmjsong1@aol.com
Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 AM

It is a 1958 Thunderbird
Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

On my '59 the wire that comes off the power seat circuit breaker goes into the metal clips AND the metal straps. The washer hoses only go into the metal straps. My engine compartment is all original so I'm pretty sure it came from the factory that way.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
On my '59 the wire that comes off the power seat circuit breaker goes into the metal clips AND the metal straps. The washer hoses only go into the metal straps. My engine compartment is all original so I'm pretty sure it came from the factory that way.
Thanks for the information as to how the factory did this.
On the 1958 the circuit breaker is under the dash. Is your (1959) circuit breaker near the starter solenoid? That would offer better protection for that circuit, in particular for that large yellow wire.

We're thinking of putting the circuit protection near the origin at the starter solenoid.

Thanks for responding.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:30 PM

Do you have power windows. Normally the circuit breaker is on the power window relay on the firewall. I have a 58 and 59 convertible and both have power windows and power driver's seat. I've never had a car with a power seat and no power windows so I'm not sure where it would be.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:09 AM

Sorry, no power windows.

I'm thinking, for safety, to put circuit protection at the starter solenoid where the large yellow wire orignates. This is directly to the battery, and could be a disaster, with no protection.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:48 AM

The wiring diagram shows that's where it is on non-power window cars so that's probably the safest place.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Gene, you're absolutely right. But our Ford founders insisted on having the start/run circuit UNprotected (I guess to eliminate fuse or breaker nuisance failures). Their philosophy was, 'let the wire burn, but get me off these railroad tracks'.

For a circuit like 'seats' or 'windows', I'm with you. I have seen plenty of circuit breakers fail but I have yet to see a name brand fuse fail. Without overcurrent protection, the WIRE becomes the fuse.

You may use a modern ATC fuse, stabbed with crimp connectors, mounted close to the source (starter solenoid post, in this case). If the wire is #12, I would fuse for 25-amps since the wires are in 'open air'. Del City sells these fuses with indicator lights for fifty cents.

Modern cars are fusing the alternators because an internnal diode could short. Since modern alternators output over 100-amps, the fuse is ~125-amps, mounted on the fender apron. If the fuse blows, the car will run off the battery for awhile.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca