This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:36 AM

whitefab is on a distinguished road
Default Start in Neutral

Please excuse my ignorance, I did not put a SBC powerplant in my bird! I found a deal on a cruiseomatic, and it seems to work pretty good. My question is this, Do you have to put it into N to start it? mine does not seem to start in P.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:46 AM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefab View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, I did not put a SBC powerplant in my bird! I found a deal on a cruiseomatic, and it seems to work pretty good. My question is this, Do you have to put it into N to start it? mine does not seem to start in P.
You probablly have a good working Ford security system. I know it has stopped a few of my friends from starting our tbirds.....

All our tbirds seem to have it, there is a safety control switch that keeps the car from starting unless it is in Park or Netural. Some of our birds, you have to hold the lever up a bit and it will start in park, others you have to wiggle around, some vary between the two.....
Old 03-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I'll assume we're talking about a '60 T-bird.

It is common for the gear shift linkage to become sloppy after so many decades. Under your dash at the bottom of the steering column, there is a Neutral Safety Switch. Sometimes these come out of adjustment. Simply loosen the screws and rotate it until you car starts in Park OR Neutral. Then, tighten the screws, and you're done. - Dave

Oh, and TG you didn't put that nasty SBC in after all.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

The Squarebirds should start in both Park and Neutral. I'm hearing that the Baby Birds will only start in Neutral with the floor shifter.

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 03-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm hearing that the Baby Birds will only start in Neutral with the floor shifter.
That is correct for the auto trans. The safety switch can be easily modifed to allow starting in park (and recommended) and new modified switches are avail from vendors.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

What was the rational for only starting in N in the little birds?

A lot of us have modified it to work in P without any problems. Did they not trust that the FM would really be in P?

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
What was the rational for only starting in N in the little birds?
I have never heard the reasoning & was always something I just accepted as one of the quirks of these cars. It may be mentioned in Ray Miller's book "Thunderbird" but as a Snowbird, I won't have access to a copy till I get home. I will try and find out and post any reasons I learn. Interesting question and just proves there is always more to learn about and old car!
Old 03-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Thanks Joe,

So even if all the roads are paved in OH they are still to cold to drive on until spring I would take it.

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Thanks Joe,

So even if all the roads are paved in OH they are still to cold to drive on until spring
Its not the temp but the endless days of dull dreary weather without sunshine that turn me into a couch potato. I've driven my cars on sunny 10 degree days and loved it but I seem to have much more ambition when its sunny. This is our first winter in FL and my biggest problem is seeing convertibles in traffic with the tops down, and me stuck in my SUV! Sure would be fun to have a Thunderbird here in the sunshine state! (maybe I need to start hinting to the little woman we need another??)

BTW - I'm still trying to find why the N only start design.

Last edited by Joe Johnston : 03-03-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: incomplete message