No announcement yet.

Pertronix -pointless ignition

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Pertronix -pointless ignition

To quote Gene Wilder in the movie Young Frankenstein: "it's alive, it's alive". While my patient spouse cranked the engine (while holding the still to be repaired shift lever in Park), I turned the distributor. After turning it about 10 degrees counter clockwise (retarded), it started to run. Another 5 to 10 degrees of retarding resulted in a fast idle that was music to my ears.

My plans are now to reinstall the Pertronix electronic ignition and then fine tune the timing using a vacuum gauge and tach to get the best RPM. Final idle speed will be set by adjusting the carb idle screw.

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

I knew you could do it!

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• 1960Bird
        Experienced
        • Dec 4 2002

That's great!

Steve

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
        390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

I hope this is my last post on this subject. I could not get the car to start after installing the electronic ignition and called Pertronix tech support. I did as suggested in the FAQ section of the instructions and connected a jumper wire from the red lead to the battery. After rotating the distributor, it finally started but seemed to have a slight miss. My whole problem was bypassing the ballast resistor. I researched this little electric device and was considering simply removing from the circuit.

"The ballast resistor is an external resistor, connected in series with the primary circuit between the battery and the coil, dissipates nearly half the heat which otherwise would be generated within the coil. The resistor is wound with wire which changes resistance only slightly with temperature. This characteristic prevents excessive primary current at low temperatures and thus reduces the tendency for the contact points to oxidize in cold weather."

I'm now more confused than before! I think lowering the coil temperature is a good thing but I now have no points to cause a problem. Leave the ballast resistor in or remove it?

Comment

• tarps3
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 21 2003

you guys have scared me away from using that Petronix ignition.

My car starts and runs just fine now with points and condenser.

I think I'll leave well enough alone. I'm not savvy enough to track down stuff that goes wrong - and it ALWAYS goes wrong when I do things like this..

I wish you luck with your swap!

Casey
            60 TBird
            Casey

Comment

I ran the red Pertronix wire to a "T-fitting" that I wired into the connection going from the ignition switch to the ballast resistor. Car started right up but ran rough. I warmed it up and then used a timing light to set the distributor. Ended up getting the best (fastest) idle when the nob or button on the damper aligned with the timing pointer. Now I need to try and fix the rough idle.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎