This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:25 PM
Apprentice

deviot is on a distinguished road
Default Rear quarter window installation

Hi All,

I need to install the remaining rear quarter window and fix the one I previously installed some time ago. The one I did some time ago I missed putting upper retaining in that keeps it in the track.

Last time there was a lot of cursing trying to get it all in.

All the track, guides motor etc all need to be put back in, unfortunatly it was all apart when I got the car.

My questions are:

Should there be felt on the rear most channel as I can't see any signs of any previously.

Are there any installation details, and order for putting this all back together.

thanks again in advance.

Dave
Old 12-05-2018, 07:42 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

search for "quarter window install". lots of former posts will be available for review
Old 12-05-2018, 08:26 PM
Apprentice

captjohn is on a distinguished road

Page 13-16 in the 59 shop manual addresses that window but don't know how thoroughly. In my experience shop manuals don't include little details that are so important to non trained persons. I'm looking thru some of my Scoop magazines to see if it is addressed there. I'm sure there are many persons on here that have actual experience which is valuable.
59HT TBird Registry: RN#76495
Sweet Home Alabama, Where the skies are so blue.

Last edited by captjohn : 12-05-2018 at 08:27 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-06-2018, 06:08 PM
Apprentice

deviot is on a distinguished road

Hi,
From what I have read so far, im still unsure. I have information on the adjustment of the window but nothing on the removal and install ofr the glass and frame.

As basically all the mechanism is out of the car, i'm looking to find out what parts need to be in place before I drop in the glass+frame.

If anyone has done a glass replacment before this may help.

When I did the other window I missed putting in 'U' bracket (Part No. 25886) with the plastic guide that screws to the windows frame, now I have no idea on how to get it in, other than take the window out again.

thanks again.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:29 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

You want both the front and rear channel in place (and yes, the rear channel should have felt). You can leave the intermediate channel (part #30244) out for now. Install the regulator from the bottom and leave the bolts loose. I usually have the regulator adjusted all the way down initially. Install the rollers into the window frame channel and then slide the window in from the top and guide it down so you can push the regulator pins into the rollers. You may need to roll the regulator up or down slightly to make it easier (it's certainly easier with manual windows). After that's done you can slide the intermediate channel in place so it goes into the bottom roller and install the two nuts. Then install the top window stop. Hopefully you marked where the bolts and nuts came out so you can get it close. If not you should be able to see the indentations from the star washers. I probably forgot something. It's easier doing it then trying to remember the steps.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quarter window assembly.jpg (96.6 KB, 31 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm