No announcement yet.

cruise o matic linkage leak

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

cruise o matic linkage leak

After 2.5 years of working on my 62 the only major thing to tend to is the tranny leak I've had since day one. I put a bowl under the linkage where it enters the tranny and empty it every couple weeks till it stopped leaking after 2 years. There always is some tranny fluid dripping off the linkage so figured there must be a seal where the arm comes out of tranny so i pulled the pan to see if I can change the seal but looks complicated. Am I over my head for this job. Any advice is welcoming.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's certainly not the easiest job in the world. You have to drop the pan and remove the valve body to get access to the shafts. Then you have to have enough room to pull the shafts out so the new seals can be installed. On a squarebird there's just barely enough room to get the shafts out. I'm not sure if there's enough room on a '62 without dropping the trans a few inches. It's certainly easier with a lift. The last one I had done by my local garage and they charged me about $180. At my age it was well worth it.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• stubbie
      Experienced
      • Jul 7 2011

I did the ones on my 64. It's not difficult you just have to keep your eye on the spring and ball bearing that will shoot out of the box when you pull the shaft. There is also a body seam on the 64 that needs cutting to give you room to remove it. With any luck on your 62 you may not have to do this. You will also need to keep an eye out for the constant oil dripping from the box. Even though you think you have emptied it think again. As John said it is awkward doing this lying on your back but not difficult. Also I read somewhere that these cars should be run at least once a week. This keeps the transmission oil below the seals and stops them from leaking. I guess by running the car the transmission oil is kept spread throughout the box and does not get a chance to get above the seals. Good luck.

Comment

tranny leak

Thanks for the info but I think I might have found the problem causing the leak, there is a kinked vent tube from the tranny which is hard to remove without dropping it so I decided to use my saw-all to cut the vent tube and got my girlfriend to barely squeeze her hand in yhr tunnel to fit a rubber hose over the tube. Put it all together fill with oil and ran it through the gears on the hoist and has sat for 2 days and no leak.hoping that's all it was.
        Again thanks guys for the input.

Gas

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎