No announcement yet.

Dash lights

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dash lights

I almost never drive my 60 bird at night, but I took it out last night and noticed how dim the instrument lights are. The rheostat seems to work, but the lights are very dim even on the highest setting. Any ideas what to fix?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Are they the original bulbs. After 50 years I imagine they can lose a bit of brightness. Maybe try some new ones and see if it makes a difference. I'm not sure if there are brighter lights available to replace the original 57's.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Howard Prout
      Experienced
      • Feb 11 2009

Another possible cause is that if you are like me, your eyes don't see as well any more. I replaced all my dash lights with LEDs, they are cheap on eBay and they seem a little brighter. I originally got ones that were too blue (I think they were called bright white) so I changed to ones with more red (warm white?). Also LEDs require much less current. The pix shows the effect of the warm white LEDs.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Howard Prout; November 9, 2012, 01:06 PM. Reason: additional info
      sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• Joe Johnston
        Super-Experienced
        • Dec 23 2008

With the top off of my 57 I couldn't see the turn signal indicators and replaced the original #57's with #1983 and saw a big improvement. (cleaning the plastic green lens helped too!) 1893's are longer and would still fit in the tube for the indicators, but my not work in all locations. LED's might even be brighter.

Comment

• Astrowing
          Experienced
          • Jul 22 2009

Even though the rheostat is working, there is probably more voltage drop across it than there was originally. Cleaning up the contacts would probably do wonders, or replace the light switch would signicantly help. The dash lights are pretty dim compared to modern cars, as are mine. I haven't gotten to the Tbird lights yet, but I cleaned up all the bulb sockets and wiring harness connectors in my '61 F100 and replaced the light switch and the lights are plenty bright.
          sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• dgs
            Super-Experienced
            • Feb 13 2003

My car's dash lights don't usually work, but persistent giggling og the light switch will usually bring them on for a bit, sometimes an entire trip. When they do come on, they seem to be full brightness and quite bright.

I need to clean or replace the switch, but haven't gotten around to it.
            DGS (aka salguod)
            1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
            www.salguod.net

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

It's common belief that the rheostat burns open. I have yet to see that. In my experience, the porcelain rheostat has a center that patina grows on. This center is made of brass (or is brass plated) and it passes power to the lights.

When I first saw mine, it looked so old that I never thought it was metal at all. I certainly never thought it would be a conductor, but it is.

See that green band around the middle section?

It needs to be cleaned once every ten years or so. Pull the spring back and wiggle the steel 'spider' out, and the rest simply falls out. Nothing here is fragile, in fact it's built like a tank. So, pull a battery cable off, then remove the headlight sw. There is a 'caution' here; start with the handle pushed in.

I understand that this job is much easier if you pull your Gauge out and reach in with your hand. With the Headlight Switch handle in the OFF position (pushed in), reach in and press that button on the Headlight Switch, then the handle will disengage allowing you to pull it out. Unscrew the Dash Bezel, and the switch drops out to work on it.

From the TRL, CLICK HERE to check out the Headlight Switch site. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎