X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gold Bird
    Experienced
    • Nov 9 2007

Newbie engine question

I am new to the Squarebird forum! I just received from my 83 year old father his original 1960 Convertible Bird. He bought it new and it has 58k miles, with the original engine/transmission. It is gold (Beachwood beige metalic) with a white top. The car has been in Florida for the past three years, where it had a complete down to the bare metal re-paint. The motor was overhauled about 5 years ago, but is showing some age. I would like to pull the valve covers and repaint them but not sure about the correct yellow color code. Also would like to know if the engine block should be gloss or semi gloss black. I can email pictures to show what it looks like. Thanks for the help and glad to find a site just for our birds! Tom
    sigpic1960 Gold Bird, original owner since new. tbirdregistry #3158
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

Welcome to the site.

Pat Wilson sells the correct yellow valve cover paint for 1960 in spray cans. You can find his link in the main site in the links section.

The engine is gloss black. The engine brackets for the pulleys are semi-gloss black. Eastwood sells a paint that is called Underhood Black that is good. The reservoir for power steering is argent. Eastwood sell wheel argent that is good for this purpose.

I recommend you get the 1958-1966 restoration guide and the VTCI concours rules. There is a load of information in those books to get everything right.
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

Welcome Tom:

I would also strongly advise getting the 60 Shop Manual while you are ordering the paint. All of the vendors have it in re-print for about $34 to $38. Invaluable item !!!!
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430
      Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• frank58
        Super-Experienced
        • May 28 2006

Well Tom, you have had at least 2 great strokes of luck lately..
        First, of course, is getting such a wonderful vehicle from your dad....
        and secondly, finding this great place...........
        welcome aboard.

Comment

• Gold Bird
          Experienced
          • Nov 9 2007

Thanks to all for the welcome, I am sure I will learn a bunch on the site. My bird has been a great car over the years, I can remember as a kid, my mom driving us to school in the winter here in Michigan! Back then it was just a car, sure glad Dad did not sell it! Thanks again, Tom

Comment

• Dan Leavens
            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Gold Bird, yes also welcome to our site and hope you post and reply often.You have a unique 60 and will no doubt have a lot of fun and pleasure driving it around as we all do. When you get a chance, post some pics of your classic so we can all see this beauty.As a suggestion, the SEARCH button on the top of the site beside " new posts" will allow you to research a lot of the earlier posts by our members.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Thunderbird Registry
            58HT #33317
            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Gold Bird
              Experienced
              • Nov 9 2007

Dan, Thanks for the welcome to the site. I have several pictures that I would like to show, but not sure how to post them? When you can please let me know how to do it. Sorry, I am not as fast on the computer as my kids!

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

If you have webspace, you can just put your picture there and then just put the URL in the message body by clicking the icon that looks like a sun and mountain. If you make a $20 donation to Squarebirds.org, you will get enhanced message board capabilities including the ability to upload your pictures directly from your computer into the message. You also get webspace and a squarebirds.org e-mail address. Plus you get a nifty Squarebirds.org decal for your car.
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

• Gold Bird
                  Experienced
                  • Nov 9 2007

Alexander, Thanks, I will check it out and sign up today. I would also like a picture of my car when I post a question or respond to one, sounds like that is what I need. Tom

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

Welcome & Congrats.

We have the 60 Conv that my father purchased brand new from his uncle, who was a Ford dealer for over 50 years.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎