Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdeil
    • Apr 29 2009

Is this typical?? All FoMoCo?

I have owned my 60' Tbird for about 5 or 6 years and I drive it on good weather days and work on it as I need to or save enough to really get into it. Although, I must say all I've done is to re-paint her and rebuilt the brake master. I am replacing the expansion tank and found the original FoMoCo thermostat. I really started checking out other things such as the solinoid, regulator, generator, fuel pump and distributor and all are labled FoMoCo. They do not look new but clean up well. My ball joints are also rivited. I have all the original upholstry, even the floor mats. I find this to be remarkable and wonder just how typical it is. To give an idea of the dependability of her, I drove her 1026 miles from Denver to Chandler AZ last September without a hitch. Are FoMoCo parts still produced?
  • mt59bird
    Apprentice
    • Feb 10 2011

My '59 has a lot of the original FoMoCo parts still on it.

I guess it would depend on the mileage and how well it was serviced. No need to replace well greased ball joints if they are not loose.

How many miles are on your car? Sounds like a good one.

Mike
    E PLURIBUS UNUM; In GOD We Trust; Liberty

Comment

• fomoco59
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 10 2005

Yep, Mine also is still running mostly original parts at 78k miles.
      No, not typical.
      sigpic
      Mike Lemmon
      '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• RustyNCa
        Super-Experienced
        • May 31 2007

Originally posted by jdeil
        I have owned my 60' Tbird for about 5 or 6 years and I drive it on good weather days and work on it as I need to or save enough to really get into it. Although, I must say all I've done is to re-paint her and rebuilt the brake master. I am replacing the expansion tank and found the original FoMoCo thermostat. I really started checking out other things such as the solinoid, regulator, generator, fuel pump and distributor and all are labled FoMoCo. They do not look new but clean up well. My ball joints are also rivited. I have all the original upholstry, even the floor mats. I find this to be remarkable and wonder just how typical it is. To give an idea of the dependability of her, I drove her 1026 miles from Denver to Chandler AZ last September without a hitch. Are FoMoCo parts still produced?
        Not our squarebird, but our 65 still has lots of FoMoCo stuff on it, the coil still says FoMoCo on it. I haven't done to much work on it yet, but we bought it from the original owner and if memory serves has under 70k miles on it. All the glass says FoMoCo. The hard parts all seem fine, it's the soft parts that are having issues now.

I would suggest you take a good look at all the rubber lines, especially the brake lines, we had the rear one give out one day and loosing all the brakes was not a fun experience. I have since replace all of them on the car.

Cheers
        RustyNCA

Comment

• dgs
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 13 2003

My upper ball joints were still riveted in when I rebuilt the front end a couple of years ago. My car had what I believe to be about 150K on it at the time.
          DGS (aka salguod)
          1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
          www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎