X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60 T-Bird
    Experienced
    • Jun 2 2010

Fuel Tank Authenticity

Looking into fuel tanks from various vendors. A few are $40 cheaper and made by Spectre. Are this a good copy or do I need to spend the difference?
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Fuel Tank Authenticity

Unfortunately, I do not know a thing about the Spectre fuel tanks. What you need for a Squarebird is a F35 gas tank. I don't know if you saw this one or not, but eBay lists this. It is the company that specializes in making the F35 gas tank for the Squarebirds. I suspect that most the Tbird parts houses get their gas tanks from this company, but I do not know that. I do know, after checking prices amongst the parts houses, that you can get this in the US from Bird Nest in Oregon for $235, the cheapest price I found. Their contact info is in the Advertisements Forum down below this.

Last edited by YellowRose; August 15, 2010, 01:33 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I think Spectre is the main manufacturer. I got one for a '62 I had and it had Spectre on the box. Looked and fit identical to the original. Spectre is in Canada so I suspect this is where everyone gets them.
      Last edited by jopizz; August 15, 2010, 09:51 AM.
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

I will vouch for them, too. Summit and other popular parts stores carry their line as well. More importantly, I bought one and couldn't be happier. It's new, and has a tin coating, just like the original. Don't try to 'revitalize' an old rusty tank, you're just putting good money after bad. Get a new one and be done. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
          Experienced
          • Jun 2 2010

Took it out today. I first drained about 4 gallons of chocolate syrup out of the tank which gave me a horrendous headache. When I dragged the beast out from under the car, there were 3 quarter size hole in the top of it. I thought I would look at the sending unit and pulled out what looked like a column of crustaceans,,,nice!
          "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
            Experienced
            • Jun 2 2010

The orange bucket is the 33 year old gas and as you can see from the remains of the fuel tank, a Spectre is on it's way.
            Attached Files

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Fuel Tank Authenticity

Yup! I would say that you certainly need a new gas tank! Someone had modified mine by cutting the locking mechanism off it. I guess because they could not find the right parts for it. Then they bolted in a different type of fuel sending unit to make it work. I replaced that tank, got the right sending unit and locking mechanism and it works fine now, after the tank I got received a thorough cleaning out. Good luck with yours!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Anders
                Super-Experienced
                • Jan 19 2008

I bought mine from Larrys, and itīs made in Canada.
                Works without any trouble what so ever
                Last edited by JohnG; August 25, 2010, 04:26 PM.
                sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                  Experienced
                  • Jun 2 2010

Originally posted by Anders
                  I bought mine from Larrys, and itīs made in Canada.
                  Works without any trouble what so ever

Yep...It appears they are all made by Spectre in my home country of Canuckland

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                    Experienced
                    • Jun 2 2010

Here is the new Fuel tank. I Zinc Chromated it and a coat of undercoat. Also a new sending unit as the old one was unrecognizable. The 2 saddle straps and j-bolts I made myself.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎