X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • white_fox
    Apprentice
    • Feb 1 2006

turn signals

On my '58 ,my turn signals have started to flash fast , like when one bulb is burned out ,but all bulbs working fine..could it be my flasher or a ground problem ?
    any ideas , fellas?
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

turn signals

Hi Sue, It could be either the flasher or a bad ground. Have you made any adjustment on the steering column at all? If so, it could involve that. Hopefully, one of our more technically inclined members will come along and give you some tips on what to check in particular.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

something is drawing more current than it should. makes the flasher blink faster. or the flasher is going bad. They are cheap to replace.
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• white_fox
        Apprentice
        • Feb 1 2006

turn signals

That's what I'm trying to figure out..Have not touched steering column so guess I'll change out flasher and see what happens
        . Thanks I'll let you know

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
          something is drawing more current than it should...
          I agree. You don't say whether ALL your signals flash fast, or just some of them.

All we can go by is what people explain on the forum. Even that story changes, sometimes.

I would start in areas exposed to the weather, like in your front turn signal lamp holders and the associated wiring.

In a different problem, one of our members couldn't understand why his 'running lights' were going dim and he could hear a 'clicking sound' coming from the dash. Turned out, his License Plate Light was grounded. As soon as he unplugged it, all the lights went back to normal.

You can do the same. Start by looking at the wiring diagram and follow the turn signal wires as they go outside the firewall or trunk area. Check the bulb holders Unplugging your bullet connectors. If you want to simulate a good bulb, get a modern tail light socket and bulb, connect the ground wire to your car body, and jumper the new bulb to the bullet connector you just unplugged. That should keep your signal unit flashing correctly. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

If the right and left side are doing exactly the same, I would start with the flasher. If it is only doing it on one side (right or left), then I would start pulling the bulbs one by one and see if you can make the problem go away. Pull the bulbs one at a time and if the problem does not change, put the bulb back in and go to the next one. If you find a bulb that is causing the problem, check 2 things. The socket and then the bulb. We used have bulbs cause weird problems and we called them funny bulbs. Sometimes they would actually work okay, but caused some really strange problems.
            Nyles

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎