Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nix6t2bird
    • Nov 24 2012

electrical power drain

With the key turned off and the doors closed should there be any power drain on the battery other than the electric clock pulse?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I love questions like this. You don't say which car this pertains to, you don't say whether you have an aftermarket radio, etc.

If we're talking about a stock '62 Thunderbird, the short answer is, NO.

Batteries left alone will discharge by themselves, especially if ambient temperatures drop. A very small trickle charger of one or two amps will keep it topped off. Now they sell solar chargers for folks who park the car (or camper) away from power.

Some of our members use a cut-off switch on the battery post. A disconnect is cheap insurance that eliminates the possibility of any drain (but you still need to keep it charged). Lead acid batteries last longest when kept with a full charge (and with proper water level). If you want to kill one, leave it discharged. The acid turns to water that could freeze and crack the case. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• nix6t2bird
      • Nov 24 2012

Love the post

Thanks for the input. Will be more specific next time. You are correct ... 1962 bird all original.

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

'62 Thunderbird was the last year for generators. They have regulators that disconnect the generator from the battery when the key is turned off. It's pretty fool-proof. If the regulator goes out, the generator simply doesn't charge but the GEN light will brightly shine with the key on.

As a side thought: It baffles me, why any modern car will not shut off with the key switch. This technology is ancient and it always worked.

As soon as the car companies added relays and solid state to the ignition system, it proved to be a dangerous and sometimes fatal mistake. OLD cars had a 'start' button that never failed because the key switch offered backup protection. Shame on any car company whose car ignition systems don't directly start at the Key Switch.
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎