X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dgs
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 13 2003

'63 LeMons Racer

Don't know how many of you are familiar with the 24 Hours of LeMons races. The deal is you buy a car for $500 max (not including safety equipment) and then race it in a 24 hour race, two 12 hour time periods over a weekend.

Well, someone found a rusty '63 T'bird coupe and entered it. First, though, they cut the roof off, then they slapped some red paint on to cover up the rust and and some Kmart wire wheel covers and painted wide whites. Looked pretty cool:

Checkout the write up an Jalopnik here and the story of their heroic transmission replacement here as well as some pics as it was found here.
    DGS (aka salguod)
    1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
    www.salguod.net
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

That is just too cool - thanks for the link - going to have to put one of those races on my to see list. Maybe even the to do list - guy down the road has a 68 F100 rust bucket could probably get for around the $500 limit - wish I could find a Squarebird for that price to enter....

Awww man - just missed one about an hour from me.

I love their disclaimer

"© 2009 DriversDoor, Inc. All rights reserved. And get real: The 24 Hours of LeMons is not associated with any other car race or group. Especially not any car race from someplace in France, where (from what we've heard) the ladies don't even wear pants."

Eric
    registry 5347
    Last edited by DKheld; April 28, 2010, 08:25 AM. Reason: found one nearby and disclaimer

Comment

• dgs
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 13 2003

There's another similar series called ChumpCar. I guess Tony Stewart showed up with a $500 Camaro beater and ran the race. And placed 8th. So, 7 regular guys get to say they raced, and beat, Tony Stewart.

How cool is that?
      DGS (aka salguod)
      www.salguod.net

Comment

• dgs
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 13 2003

So, these guys are at it again. Except that they yanked the FE and COM and dropped in a BMW V12 drivetrain. They couldn't sort out the engine computer, so they fabricated their own intake out of an ammo can for a holley 4 barrel plus a couple of 6 cylinder distributers. Of course, the transmission has a computer too, and without an engine computer to talk to it defaulted into limp mode with only 4rd gear. They only managed 2 laps before it was done.

Still, pretty awesome, eh?

DGS (aka salguod)
        www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍