X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rannugno
    Apprentice
    • Aug 22 2011

Correct carpet color

I got a Thunderbird 58 with trim color code "XA". (blue/blue) An owner before me have removed the original carpet and installed a not original carpet so I don't have a sample of the original color. I have visited a lot of Thunderbird part suppliers on the internet but non of them have a conversion table between trim code and their own color codes or names. I've even sent mail to a few suppliers without getting any replay.
    A lot of vendors got the colors blue, medium blue and dark blue. I guess it's one of them.

Do anyone know what's the correct color for my car?

Thanks, Gunnar
    sigpic
    Gunnar S - 58 Thunderbird
    http://squarebirds.org/users/gunnar/...bird/index.htm
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=5569
  • Anders
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 19 2008

What was the original exterior colour? Code?
    sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Ok, here's the scoop... Ray called me from BINGO, to relay this info. I guess he forgot to post before he left for bingo...

Ray says, according to the OFS, XA = BLUE.
      Not Dark or Light Blue, just plain BLUE.

Ray also hopes that Alan Tast chimes in to verify his findings.

I did a little research of my own and found 1958 Thunderbird Interior Trim Code XA to be:
      "BLUE SOF-TEXTURED VINYL AND BLUE HIGHLAND TWEED"

Mission accomplished. - Dave
      Last edited by simplyconnected; December 8, 2011, 08:39 PM.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Is there any carpet left on the bottom back of the seat. Usually the part underneath out of the sun will give you an indication what the original color was. I doubt it is dark blue. I would think medium blue or Ford blue would be correct. The best carpet deal I've found is from Rock Auto. They sell you the same Auto Custom Carpet that they sell for about $275 and it's about $133. I just got my carpet from them and it has the correct metal grommets on the dimmer switch and gas pedal holes. I had a coupon at the time but I think it expired.
        Last edited by jopizz; December 8, 2011, 10:13 PM.
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Jimz Bird
          Experienced
          • Feb 3 2011

Originally posted by simplyconnected
          I did a little research of my own and found 1958 Thunderbird Interior Trim Code XA to be:

With one little post mission note:
          "The Highland Tweed fabric used in 1958 had an overall random check pattern; not uniform like a checkerboard, and colors above were combined with a white weave that made the cloth part of the seats appear lighter than the vinyl part. This is most noticeable on the black fabric."
          Jim
          Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
          sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
            Experienced
            • Jan 5 2008

Originally posted by simplyconnected
            Ok, here's the scoop... Ray called me from BINGO, to relay this info. I guess he forgot to post before he left for bingo...

Ray says, according to the OFS, XA = BLUE.
            Not Dark or Light Blue, just plain BLUE.

Ray also hopes that Alan Tast chimes in to verify his findings.

Good question. Typically carpet color falls toward the darker shade as opposed to lighter in part to hide dirt and wear. I'm not sure about original shade for '58 as I don't have any color samples/swatches of original carpet. A medium/dark blue that matches the color of the outer bolsters would be my gut reaction to this, but I'd defer to someone who can provide info from an unrestored '58 to validate this.
            Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
            Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
            Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
              Experienced
              • Mar 31 2004

I just took a look thru my 58 trim stuff and of course as I remembered there are no pieces of carpet.

As Alan noted an unrestored original 58 or 59 would do the trick. Bottom line is even with the correct color in hand my guess is that finding the correct color blue or even close is not going to happen.

Most people use Auto Custom Carpet or ACC for short. You can find their website thru google.

Ask them for blue swatches and they should be able to send them via mail. Do not assume they know the correct clor and have them send several.

Hope you have a piece of the original under the rear seat or under the seats as the carpet may have been pulled with the seats in the car.

If not take your best guess but darker is better as noted by Alan.

Remember that 58 carpet is cloth bound edges not surge bound. The toe and heel pads supplied are not even close to the originals. Orginal style toe and heel pads can be purchased.

Fuz
              58's&64's
              Sun Prairie, Wi.
              tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

• rannugno
                Apprentice
                • Aug 22 2011

Thanks for a lot of answers.

The cars body code is "B" Winterset White.

I think I will go for the clean Blue one.
                Not all suppliers can deliver clean blue, some only have medium or Ford blue. I've found that #13 Blue is a color a few suppliers have common.
                Anyone who know about the carpet quality from Bird Nest? They usually do have reasonable prices for overseas shipping.

Gunnar
                sigpic
                Gunnar S - 58 Thunderbird
                http://squarebirds.org/users/gunnar/...bird/index.htm
                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=5569

Comment

• Anders
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by rannugno
                  Thanks for a lot of answers.

The cars body code is "B" Winterset White.

I think I will go for the clean Blue one.
                  Not all suppliers can deliver clean blue, some only have medium or Ford blue. I've found that #13 Blue is a color a few suppliers have common.
                  Anyone who know about the carpet quality from Bird Nest? They usually do have reasonable prices for overseas shipping.

Gunnar
                  The reason I asked about the exterior colour is that my theory is that the carpet is hardly never lighter than the exterior paint. With Winterset White there must be a "risk" this was equipped with the light blue. But don´t you get a feel for what blue to use from the seats or the dash? It should be the same or darker than the seats / dash, but most probably, as close as they could go.
                  Blue is always a very tricky color as it can go towards green or red, and the most important, in my opinion, is that you follow in what direction your other blue details have. If you are unsure, ask your wife. She knows excactly what I´m talking about Can you take a picture of your interior?

Just noticed: Trevligt med en Norrman som kör ´58 bird!
                  Last edited by Anders; December 9, 2011, 07:43 PM.
                  sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                  http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Here is what I found in Larry's Thunderbird and Mustang Parts for the '58 Thunderbird.
                    Richard D. Hord
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎