X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Restifier52
    Experienced
    • Jul 26 2011

Hood Release

Hi everyone! Hope you all had a great Christmas. I have searched the site but haven't found the info I'm looking for. My hood release stays out when I pull it out and I have to push it back in when I want the hood to close again. Is this normal or am I missing a spring somewhere? Thanks.

Rick
    1960 HT
    Thunderbird Registry #35780
  • del
    Retired Expert Enthusiast
    • May 11 2010

Hi Rick - Mine does the same thing. Kind of irritating, ain't it! I'll be interested see if someone posts a solution.
    Regards,
    Don Vincent
    Amherst NY
    1960 HT 352
    TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• Howard Prout
      Experienced
      • Feb 11 2009

There should be a spring in the left latch that pulls it back.
      sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• Restifier52
        Experienced
        • Jul 26 2011

Thanks Howard. I have an idea now of how to fix this. I will be taking The Baby (not the official nickname yet but I'm leaning toward it) to the shop next week to get the stance fixed. Right now the front is too high due to the lower weight of the 351/AOD. 2012 will be my first real season of driving and I plan to make the most of it. Happy New Year everyone!
        1960 HT

Comment

• cuul59
          Apprentice
          • Jun 13 2005

Hood Release Quick Checks

The handle should spring back once you release it. Most likely this is an easy fix. Start by checking BOTH left and right latches to see if there is anything disconnected or broken...you can do this by comparing them to each other. At this time take a look at the cable to see if there is excessive free play and adjust it as necessary. However the most likely cause is simply a lack of lubrication. Use WD40 or similar parts penetrating fluid and spray it liberally throughout but latches. Then work the latches about a dozen cycles of opening and closing to get the lubricant worked into the right places. If all this fails, you may need to replace the hood latch cable...not a hard job and they are available from the usual parts suppliers.
          Neil
          1959 Turquoise Convertible “CUUL59”

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
            Experienced
            • Jun 2 2010

I ended up replacing the spring (actually made one), replaced the control cables and greased them. Works great now.
            "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• Restifier52
              Experienced
              • Jul 26 2011

Can you describe what you did to make the spring? That is something I never thought about fabricating!
              1960 HT

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎