X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Gear Shift Lever Slop - Continued

I replaced the transmission lever rubber bushing under the car, and there is no play at the transmission end. The Detent Plate is replaced, and Shift Lever and Rubber Grommet are new.

I still have slop in the indicator of about 1/2" total in each gear except Park.

The only thing that I can think of is that the inside of the Collar (that moves) is worn where the tip of the Shift Lever goes. I haven't been this far into the shift mecahanism, so don't know.

Can I remove just the lever without tearing apart the collar again?
    Last edited by bcomo; October 6, 2007, 03:14 PM.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231
  • 6TB1RD
    Experienced
    • Apr 9 2006

Same issue

Bart
    I have the same issue, at the end of the shift tube where the linkage from the tranny is attached. This is where mine is warren.

Seems after so many years of shifting this piece gets elongated. the shift tube slides inside this lever when you pull up on the shift Handel.

you can tell if this is your issue by pushing and pulling the lever in the direction of the shift movement. Mine moves approximately 1/8 of an inch (free play) at the end where the tranny rod is attached.

When I had my column apart to clean paint and lube it I tried to use JB weld to make the bushing on the sift tube wider to make the slop go away. It came back after about a month.

I do not know of any reproductions of this part maybe someone out there Knows where we can get one.
    George (Papa of 9)
    1960 H/T :rolleyes:
    Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
    sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

So, if I hold the tranny lever in the engine compartment that is attached to the tube, and have someone move the shift handle inside the car, I should feel no slop in the tube at the tranny lever. Is that right?

What about where the tip of the shift lever in the car that goes into the shift tube?

I haven't been that far into the top column to know, but from the parts diagram it looks like the tip of the shift lever at the top must go into a hole in the tube to move it. Could that hole be elongated making the lever sloppy?
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• 6TB1RD
        Experienced
        • Apr 9 2006

1. "So, if I hold the tranny lever in the engine compartment that is attached to the tube, and have someone move the shift handle inside the car, I should feel no slop in the tube at the tranny lever. Is that right?"

Right. there should be no slop there at all. or at the most just a little wiggle. when I shift mine I have to put the lever in N to get the tranny into R. and when I push the lever up it stops in R. Neutral is drive and drive is d2 going from right to left the indicator is correct but park to drive it's off one.

2, What about where the tip of the shift lever in the car that goes into the shift tube?

Where the shift lever goes into the shift collar and the upper part of the tube has an reinforced tab on the tube itself. there Would be no slop there. Mine showed no sign of ware

If or when you decide to take the column out let me know, after doing mine I found a couple of little items during the removal and instillation of mine that will be very helpful for you.
        George (Papa of 9)
        1960 H/T :rolleyes:
        Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
        sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 23 2005

I'll check the movement on the tranny shift lever tomorrow.

You saved me taking off the steering collar to check there. My indicator slop isn't that bad. If I ever have to do any work on the column, that would be when I would do it.
          Bart
          1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• frank58
            Super-Experienced
            • May 28 2006

I saw this ad on Ebay today, Item number: 220158082826 it reminded me of this thread, so if anyone decides he need a collar... this might be a good chance.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎