Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a good deal for a brake conversion kit?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NewBird13
    • Jan 13 2012

Hey guys
    I came across this kit on ebay and was wondering if it is a good deal? Im asking because it seems much cheaper than what people on this site have said they paid.
    Thanks
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Probably would be best to go with the "tried and tested" Scarebird items but this does appear to be a decent price. They tell you what the rotors are so you could get those local and save shipping assuming you could get the brackets separately. Read the post linked below then ask them a question and see how there technical help is - that should tell you quite a bit. Or ask for pictures of completed conversions (references) !!!

Sometimes what they don't tell you though will cost you more in the end. Notice they say "no modifications needed" - well - the stock brake master cyl is for drum brakes not Disc. You'll have to run 15 inch wheels, etc.

Installing the front rotors is the easy part - getting the rest of the details right to stop your car is the other 90% and not as easy as installing the rotors IMHO.

I converted using Granada spindles - it works but don't go that route.

Check this post - should give you some ideas and answers.

This Forum is for the discussion of adding a dual Master Cylinder, Dual 8" Power Booster, and Power Front Disc Brakes to the 1958, 1959 and 1960 Squarebird.

Good luck!
    Eric,
    registry 5347
    Last edited by DKheld; February 2, 2012, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

This kit requires that you change from your original 14" wheels to 15". If you use the scarebird brackets with Granada or Mustang rotors and Chevy S-10 calipers you can use your factory spindles and keep your standard hubcaps. You just need later 14" disc brake rims. When I do mine that's what I am going to use. I priced it out and I believe it's cheaper than the kit they advertise.
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

You guys are right. This system uses a rotor that is 11.77" and Scarebird uses the '68 Mustang rotor which is 11.24". That's why the Scarebird will still fit under a 14" Granada or Mustang wheel. Howard Prout wears the Scarebird system with 14" wheels on his '60 T-bird. (BTW, you can re-use your T-bird bearings and dust caps with the Mustang rotors.)

Price? It's close, but I still think Scarebird may be a little cheaper. I like the idea of buying my iron parts locally so I can save shipping costs. AND, I use the softest pads I can find. They don't last the longest but they never squeal and they stop in the shortest distance. Our auto parts stores have at least four choices of pads for the S-10 calipers. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Astrowing
          Experienced
          • Jul 22 2009

I'm curious as to what folks are doing for master cylinders and boosters for 58, 59, and 60 with and without AC. Is it only a difficulty for the '58 with AC?
          sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

It's easiest for folks who had the firewall booster because they can cut the rivets off and reuse the bracket on a new two-stage booster.

The problem is, Squarebirds have a very low-mounted M/C (lower on the firewall than Fairlanes). To add a booster means it must come up about five inches to give enough room. Who makes a bracket that raises the M/C 5"? There are a few companies, but they won't sell just the bracket. You gotta buy their booster, M/C, brake pedal rod... the whole bang. It ain't cheap, but it works.

One alternative is to make your own, like Howard Prout did. His is the nicest I've seen and it works very well. He has A/C and a 430. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Jim, if you have a '58, '59 or '60 Squarebird with AC, getting a modern 8" dual power booster to clear the right side of the AC plenum box is going to give you problems. As Dave said, companies who sell these dual mc/booster kits will not sell you the mounting bracket that will work without buying their whole system. I know because I asked all of them. Howard made his own mounting bracket, and as Dave said, it works great. He has been running with it for the last year or more now.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• NewBird13
                • Jan 13 2012

Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it.

Comment

• skcow
                  • Oct 9 2011

Brake Kit

I purchased one of their kits and I'm in the process of installation now. I got the 4 wheel complete kit as I'm beefing my old bird up a bit. The kit is well thought out and very complete. The only problem I've had is that the e brake cables were too short and will have to get them elsewhere. For the money it's hard to beat. Yes you'll have to run 15" wheels to clear the new set up.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎