X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nzmuzza
    • Apr 7 2008

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
    Hey Murray,
    Is there any adjustment on the bracket that mounts on the frame that holds the steering ram? Could something have got bent over time or moved?
    Richard D. Hord
    Hi Richard i have looked at that ,as i have had everything apart when i painted the engine bay and renewed all the front suspension bushes etc i thought that renewing all the worn out bits would fix my problem but alas no

Comment

Hey Murray,
      I was just looking through my shop manual. Is there any shims that go on before the pitman arm is attached to steering gear box? If there is that should lower the whole steering mechanism and get it away from oil pan! Sorry I have not had Christine's apart, just trying to help. Also have you had steering gear box removed and if so is there any adjustment. (by looking at shop manual looks like it bolts straight through frame)
      Richard D. Hord
      Last edited by Guest; September 29, 2009, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• nzmuzza
        • Apr 7 2008

Hey Murray,
        I was just looking through my shop manual. Is there any shims that go on before the pitman arm is attached to steering gear box? If there is that should lower the whole steering mechanism and get it away from oil pan!
        Richard D. Hord
        if i remember rightly it has a tappered splined shaft so shim wouldnt work and it is also one bit i never disassembled

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

Murray,

Hopefully we can get this figured out before you take a hammer to the oil pan!

I took some pictures and measurements of my car and posted them at the link below (the first pic is just a reference pic for an undercoating question). I am hoping you will find something out of place or different that is a simple fix. I noticed my PS ram is also very close to the pan but futher away than yours.

My measurements were:
          2cm from the pan to the edge of the ram or 4cm from the pan to the center of the bolt going through the ram bushing. I measured 9 cm from the block to the frame on the passengers side but it was a blind measurement - I could see the edge of the frame but couldn't really tell if I was hitting the block or the edge of the motor mount with the other end of the tape measure. I'll give it another shot tomorrow if the pics don't help - got to late and have to work early tomorrow. Couldn't reach the drivers side mount to measure.

Sure hope this does the trick

Eric
          registry 5347

Comment

• nzmuzza
            • Apr 7 2008

Originally posted by DKheld
            Murray,

Hopefully we can get this figured out before you take a hammer to the oil pan!

I took some pictures and measurements of my car and posted them at the link below (the first pic is just a reference pic for an undercoating question). I am hoping you will find something out of place or different that is a simple fix. I noticed my PS ram is also very close to the pan but futher away than yours.

My measurements were:
            2cm from the pan to the edge of the ram or 4cm from the pan to the center of the bolt going through the ram bushing. I measured 9 cm from the block to the frame on the passengers side but it was a blind measurement - I could see the edge of the frame but couldn't really tell if I was hitting the block or the edge of the motor mount with the other end of the tape measure. I'll give it another shot tomorrow if the pics don't help - got to late and have to work early tomorrow. Couldn't reach the drivers side mount to measure.

Sure hope this does the trick

Eric
            registry 5347
            thanks what i have done is put two 6mm bolcks under the engine mounts and fitted a spacer 12mm to the rear transmission mount, as looking at the manual there appears there should be one and now i have some clerarance ,so hopefully the problem is fixed or else there will be a cheap bird for sale in new zealand

Comment

Hey Murray,
              Don't get discussed with her she is old! I'm going to tell you what my grandfather used to tell me "son if you work on something so long and can not get it figured out, walk off and leave it for a while. When you come back you will have a new outlook and things should go better!"
              Go through and check everything one more time and just make sure everything is where it is suppose to be!
              Richard D. Hord

Comment

• nzmuzza
                • Apr 7 2008

Hey Murray,
                Don't get discussed with her she is old! I'm going to tell you what my grandfather used to tell me "son if you work on something so long and can not get it figured out, walk off and leave it for a while. When you come back you will have a new outlook and things should go better!"
                Go through and check everything one more time and just make sure everything is where it is suppose to be!
                Richard D. Hord
                great quote and boy was he right i have found many times when it all goes bad to walk away and come back later and yes things always seem to go alot smoother

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎