X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

expansion tank woes

Does anyone have a good, reasonably priced source for expansion tanks for square birds.
    I have a '60 with a 352 in it.
    For some reason, after taking it on and off the car several times to get it re-soldered, I can't get the $#^@% thing to stop leaking.

Either my radiator guy is a moron (completely feasible), or the tank is just no good. I've had it! It is leaking at the outlet "neck" now.

I'd like to buy a reconditioned one somewhere if anyone knows a good source.

Casey
    Casey
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: expansion tank woes

I have had the same problem over the years. Many times when one leak was fixed, another would spring up.

Reproduction tanks are now available for $199. End of problem. Bob's Bird House has them http://www.bobsbirdhouse.com/.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 21 2003

I bought a reproduced expansion tank for $200 and put about 100 miles on it.

Guess what. I have an small geyser now where a seam came "unsoldered".
      The supplier agreed to replace it for me even though it has been over 30 days. Being in a state of continual restoration, this car has never been driven consistently for 30 days!
      I installed the tank in May but have not driven it much due to many factors. FINALLY got a chance to air her out this weekend...

Anyway, I'm sending the tank back and we'll see how the replacement tank fares.
      Whoever dreamed these things up ought to be pistol-whipped!
      This has been a 2-year ordeal trying to keep antifreeze in this beast!

Casey (I hate expansion tanks)
      '60 TBird hardtop
      Casey

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

I thought the new expansion tanks should be better than that!

I agree that the expansion tanks were a bad idea. They were an inexpensive way of increasing the coolant capacity. They were basically a stop-gap solution to a bigger problem of overheating with these engines. The better solution would have been bigger radiators, shrouds, electric fans and alternators.

When I first got my '59 Thunderbird, my expansion tank would continually leak. Each time I had it repaired by the radiator shop, it would leak at a different spot a week later. I eventually tried to repair it myself with equally disappointing results. I happened to find a used one several years ago that had no signs of leakage. No problems since.

The problem with repairing these tanks is that the ethylene glycol prevents a good repair at the leak. It is nearly impossible to clean it all off. Repairing one area with solder and heat often weakens an adjacent area.

The only real solution to a leaking tank is to completely disassemble it, thoroughly clean it, and then solder it back together. Welding, epoxy or silicone may be alternate ways of putting it back together.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 21 2003

Has anybody tried doing without a tank and perhaps installing a different radiator?

I've got a tank on my '64 Galaxie, but I've seen other Galaxies of that same year where people have installed an after-market radiator or a later model radiator that didn't have a tank.
          The radiator cap was on the top of the radiator itself.

I figure that, with the limited space, a different radiator probably wouldn't fit in the TBird. That sloping nose looks cool, but it's awfully cramped behind there.

If the expansion tank was a stop-gap measure, I wonder why Ford kept putting them on cars for the next few years. The Galaxie seems to have ample room for a larger radiator, shroud, etc. Plus, they have a lot of grille space in front of the radiator for air movement.

Of course, the Galaxie tank is ribbed and hasn't ever leaked. Perhaps the "heavier" ribbed construction gives them more stability.
          Someone told me that you could use a later model ribbed tank in lieu of the smooth TBird tank - they bolt right on the same way. Do you know if this is true?

Casey
          '60 TBird hardtop
          Casey

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

I doubt you can get a bigger radiator into a Squarebird. There is just no room. The later tanks work also. They just don't look right on a Squarebird. These tanks have been in reproduction for years. The reproduction tanks for Squarebirds have only recently been available.

Alexander
            1959 Hardtop
            1960 Golde Top
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

• 1960Bird
              Experienced
              • Dec 4 2002

I got a good used tank that had been pressure tested from John Draxler, at The Thunderbird Ranch e-mail jdrax@tds.net

I have about 1500 miles on the tank so far, with out any problems. I have purchased other parts from John, he is a good guy and has good used parts. I think that the tank cost about $100 or $125

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
              390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

• JohnG
                John
                • Jul 28 2003

Mine also leaked. I took it to a radiator shop which in turn sandblasted it, separated it in half and welded it back together. They did not use solder saying the tank itself was steel. I have put about 500 miles on it since then with no problems. (that does not mean it won't be leaking when I get home but we seem to be ok for now). The cost was in the $50-60 range; they also pressure tested it and painted it

John
                58 Hardtop
                1958 Hardtop
                #8452 TBird Registry
                http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                history:
                http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Alexander
                  Webmaster
                  • Oct 30 2002

I thought the tanks were brass. I have seen people polish and clear coat them.

Alexander
                  1959 Hardtop
                  1960 Golde Top
                  Alexander
                  1959 Hard Top
                  1960 Golde Top
                  sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jul 21 2003

my 3 are made out of crap apparently....

sorry, couldn't resist.

Casey
                    Casey

Comment

• Alexander
                      Webmaster
                      • Oct 30 2002

If the Squarebirds were made today, the expansion tank would surely be made out of plastic.

Alexander
                      1959 Hardtop
                      1960 Golde Top
                      Alexander
                      1959 Hard Top
                      1960 Golde Top
                      sigpic

Comment

• JohnG
                        John
                        • Jul 28 2003

part of the structure is indeed brass but the tank itself turns out to be steel (you can put a magnet on it as a test).
                        1958 Hardtop
                        #8452 TBird Registry
                        http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                        history:
                        http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

>If the Squarebirds were made today, the expansion tank would
                          >surely be made out of plastic.
                          >
                          >Alexander

I've seen this done on a Bird that was for sale on Ebay a few weeks ago. Had a fitting with a radiator cap between two hoses (upper radiator and block). Connected beneath the cap was a hose going to ... You guessed it, a plastic expansion tank mounted on the inner fender.

Comment

>I doubt you can get a bigger radiator into a Squarebird.
                            >There is just no room.

Sure you can -- As long as you're not worried about cutting the core support to fit a bigger one in there. If you show your car, you obviously won't wanna do this, but on a driver I don't see any reason against it. This is of course, just my opinion.

The previous owner of my squarebird did it. It's a sloppy job, but could and will be be redone properly when I get to it.

Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.

I bought a "correct" radiator and expansion tank with the intent of reinstalling the right parts, but have since changed my mind on this. Since mine will be a driver, I don't need the overheating issues -- Esp living in Florida.

Dispite the fact that she didn't overheat before I started the teardown, I have since bought a shroud and an 8 blade fan with fan clutch as she did run a tad on the warm side. I'm eventually adding A/C so I figure she'll prolly need these things anyway.

Comment

• ayrwoof
                              Experienced
                              • Apr 4 2005

I'd like to see a presure check of the cooling system and cap
                              your system shouldnt build pressure any more quickly than any other car with the same fuel in it if it does look at slow timing
                              old or low octane fuel burns slow so head heat up . too lean fuel
                              1 run 160 deg thermostat. if plugs are a little black , try to advance timing a little at a time (get it to ping/detonate).
                              if you have more than 13 psi on the inlet side of the radiator
                              then the lower levels of your rad are pluging up
                              also several tool supliyers make a cooling system check for
                              combustionalble gasses in radiator / a snif test deadly accurate
                              on lunched head gasket.... dave///

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎