No announcement yet.

Need Some Help Part 2 - 66 Transmission

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Some Help Part 2 - 66 Transmission

OK, so to continue on my transmission/dipstick issues. I have a 66 bird. Leaking from the Trans/dipstick so I purchased a new dipstick and o-ring - aftermarket chrome one.

When I pulled the old dipstick out of the c-6 transmission, roughly 2-3 qts of fluid came gushing out (thankfully I had my catch pan underneath). Is this normal?

The trans was checked - full, while running a couple days before...

Just seems odd that much fluid would come out by just removing the dipstick... So I put the new one in, with the new o-ring and have mounted the dipstick to the bellhousing bolt - everything is clean underneath so now I'll check for leaking again before I do much more.

Just seems odd I'd lose a couple qt's of fluid like that...
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Considering that it holds about 7 quarts not counting the converter you're lucky only 2-3 quarts came out. The dipstick is usually installed at the lowest point.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

so

in losing a few quarts while removing the dip stick tube, that's normal?

Just seems surprising that little o-ring seal would prevent 3-7 quarts from leaking out - seems that's where mine has been leaking from over the last few weeks, losing quarts and quarts at a time... hoping this new dipstick tube, seal etc. will stop all the leaks.

anyone else have leaks from there often? any other solutions like gasket sealers etc? I'm hoping no more leaks and good to go!

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

On a cruise-o-matic if you remove the dipstick tube you lose just about ALL the fluid. That's the way it's designed. If you look at where the dipstick tube goes on your C6 it's impossible for it not to leak some fluid when you pull it out. If it was above the fluid level it wouldn't need the O ring.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Just surprising is all, wouldn't think that little o-ring would hold back 5 or so quarts, ya know? I know when the car is running most of that fluid goes back into the converter, but drains down when the car is off - Just hope this new dipstick and o-ring hold

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎