X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Jones
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2009

upper radiator hose

ello I own a 1962 ford thunderbird convertible. Iam needing the upper hose for it. The hose I have on there now have springs on the inside of the hose. Autozone Advance and Nappa dot carry them with the springs inside. Need I be concerned with that or just buy one here locally. Thanks Larry
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

upper radiator hose

Larry, you can get the OEM type hoses from the Bird Nest or probably any other of our Tbird parts places. Call Don at 800-232-6378 or check out the Advertisements Forum for other Tbird parts places.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Larry Jones
      Experienced
      • Feb 3 2009

upper radiator hose

Thank you Ray. My question do I really need the one with springs inside. Wouldnt a regular one surfice instead . In your opinion of course. Larry

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

upper radiator hose

Hi Larry, The OEM type hose that you can get from any of our Tbird parts houses do not have the springs inside. You dont need that kind. The OEM hoses have the FOMOCO logo on them, as I recall and the part #. So if you want to stay OEM on your hoses, call Don at the Bird Nest or one of the other Tbird parts houses. They have them.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• KULTULZ

There is no need for a reinforcing spring in an upper hose (pressure). There is a need for the spring in the lower hose (suction). These springs are available for separate purchase.

Comment

• Larry Jones
            Experienced
            • Feb 3 2009

gates upper and lower hoses

I was told by a nappa rep if you buy a gates hose you dont need the spring I even called gates directly and they repeated the same words to me. Larry

Comment

• KULTULZ

From- http://www.martiauto.com/faqfocus.cfm?qid=20

I need a spring for my radiator hose. Where can I find one?

The thought that a spring is needed in a radiator hose is a common misconception, that springs (pun intended) from two events.

The first is that many (although not all) lower radiator hoses on the production assembly line had springs in them. The reason for this was the method by which the assembly lines filled the cooling systems. To save time, a special vacuum/fill fitting was placed over the radiator fill connection (the place where the radiator cap would eventually be placed. A vacuum machine was turned on to evacuate most of the air out of the cooling system. Once completed, the fill portion was turned on to introduce the coolant into the system. This process avoided entrained air preventing the system from being completed filled. The purpose of the hose spring was to prevent collapse during the vacuum portion of the fill cycle.

Although plausible, then an upper hose spring would be needed also for this procedure. Cooling systems are filled daily in repair shops using this method. Does the shop install the spring(s) before evacuation

The second part of the story that has led to the "I need a spring" myth is that some people have observed their lower hose collapsing when they rev the engine. This is the result of a clogged radiator or a cooling system that has not been brought up to standard operating temperature. If an engine is revved up while still cool, there is only atmospheric pressure in the system. It is possible for the lower hose to collapse slightly due to the water pump drawing water out of the lower hose faster than the gravity-fed water from the radiator replaces it. Once the engine has been warmed up, the coolant system operates under pressure and this condition doesn't exist in a properly maintained cooling system. However, if the radiator tubes have restrictions, as the engine is revved, the water pump pulls coolant from the lower hose faster than water can trickle past the clogged tubes. This can result in a reduction in internal pressure that would cause the hose to collapse.

Note that the events that lead to the thought that "I need a spring" are based on either an insufficiently warmed up engine or a clogged radiator. The spring does not take care of these events. It merely masks a symptom. If, after your vehicle has reached normal operating temperature but you experience a collapsing hose, have your radiator tested.

As an additional thought, have you ever wondered where your original spring went? Did you ever find bits and pieces of it scattered throughout the cooling system? Being made of ordinary steel, they corrode with time, small pieces gradually breaking off and either scoring the water pump impeller, tearing the water pump seal, or clogging the radiator. They aren't necessary for the functioning of a properly maintained cooling system.
              It is your decision. Conditions can lead to a collapsed lower radiator hose, whether maintenance related, design related or possibly a HI-FLO WP on a performance engine. A stainless steel spring is available for service as a galvanized spring will deteriorate over time in an improperly maintained cooling system.

- http://www.cjponyparts.com/LOWER-RAD...-1973/p/HW770/

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

upper radiator hose

As a matter of interest, if you buy an OEM type FOMOCO upper or lower radiator hose for a Squarebird, NEITHER of them will have springs in them. Back then, FORD did not put springs in them, but in the 70's some hoses did have them.
                Last edited by YellowRose; July 18, 2012, 08:24 PM. Reason: Added a word...

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

I'm with Ray, here. The assembly plant has ONE MINUTE to evacuate and fill (A/C, Radiator, PS, PB, and washer bottle). That's why they draw a vacuum... there is NO time to waste. If a vacuum cannot be drawn, that indicates a leak and they don't fill.

I have NEVER seen an aftermarket garage OR new car dealership that uses evacuation before fill except for A/C systems.

Consider this: If the hoses collapse before fill, so what? They cannot seal off a vacuum.

AND, as long as the thermostat is closed, there is only a trickle of coolant flow. When temp raises so does pressure, which bloats all rubber hoses. That's why no wires are needed in any hoses. - Dave
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

There is no OEM hose for this period vehicle unless one finds a NOS hose. Granted, hose materials have greatly improved since the fifties and are of much better construction, but unless one knows who the exact vendor is for these reproductions, one is not really sure of the quality. Too much offshore crap being pedaled today.

The spring is merely an insurance policy. You toast an early 352 or more importantly a 430, you are in for a big buck repair.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by simplyconnected

I'm with Ray, here. The assembly plant has ONE MINUTE to evacuate and fill (A/C, Radiator, PS, PB, and washer bottle).

That's why they draw a vacuum... there is NO time to waste. If a vacuum cannot be drawn, that indicates a leak and they don't fill.
                      The service vacuum fill is used to completely fill the system and prevent having to burp the system after fill.

I have NEVER seen an aftermarket garage OR new car dealership that uses evacuation before fill except for A/C systems.
                      A professional shop uses this method to prevent cavitation and overheating problems after a cooling system service. It has been in use I don't know how many years.

- http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

And just because one chooses a dealership for service/repair, it does not guaranteee that the service provided is either current and/or correct. Individual techs are not at the same level of expertise and training. Neither is the dealer principle or service/shop manager.

The horror stories I could tell...

Consider this: If the hoses collapse before fill, so what? They cannot seal off a vacuum.

AND, as long as the thermostat is closed, there is only a trickle of coolant flow. When temp raises so does pressure, which bloats all rubber hoses. That's why no wires are needed in any hoses.

- Dave
                      One cannot draw a full vacuum (or does one need to) to fill an empty cooling system. Only a partial vacuum will suffice. Hoses can collapse and interfere with filling coolant. Just the THERMOSTAT BY-PASS hose will interrupt drawing supposed vacuum in an engine's cooling system. The thermostat has not that much to do with it.

How many years did you work in the service end of the industry Dave?

I am going to stop participating now as it seems discussions are becoming arguments and I just don't have the desire for it.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎