X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cervantes1m
    • Nov 20 2016

speedometer help ...

Hello,

Fellow members I hope I can get some help.

Over the weekend I replaced the speedometer cable and speedometer gear because my speed gauge needle would bounce back and forth then it just stopped working.

When i removed the old cable i found that it had broken and also the gear was not in such good shape.

Replaced with new parts took my baby out for a drive, it worked great for couple of miles and then it stopped working.

I double checked my connections at the transmission and speedometer and found nothing.

I then checked the actual speedometer and noticed that the port were the speedo cable goes into looked stripped.

is that part replaceable or anyone recommend a place to have it repaired.
    Attached Files
    Ready to Roll :D
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

Read this thread and see if your problems might be the same as mine (the odometer stuck).

Comment

• cervantes1m
      • Nov 20 2016

@YADKIN.....thank you unfortunately that is not my problem.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I would check with the vendors that sell used parts like The Birds Nest, The Thunderbird Connection or Pat Wilson Thunderbirds and see if you can get a good used speedometer or the gear housing. To my knowledge that part is not available new.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• cervantes1m
          • Nov 20 2016

@JOPIZZ thank you ....

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

I've never heard of a speedometer cable wearing out the brass socket. That socket should spin freely with NO resistance. I hope you can perform work on your bench, not in the dash.

Many replacement cables were 'cut to length' with a plastic end, which seemed to work without complaints. Normally, when a speedometer cable breaks, it is because it wore into the shield in one place and it created a snag. So, I always bought the complete assembly for replacement.

Back to your 'washed-out' square. Determine if your speedometer moves freely. You may use a drill motor to test, but read on. If your new cable came with a nylon end, this is a piece of cake... You can clean the hole and use epoxy.

Before you freak out, the hole should be 'lacquer thinner clean' so epoxy sticks well. Some folks swear by JB Weld, but any good epoxy will work. Use a toothpick to apply in the hole covering all the sides and some on the bottom. Put a thin coat of grease on the cable end before you stick it in the epoxy hole. Epoxy will not stick to grease. Keep it straight and clean off any excess immediately. Your new cable should slide in and out with slight pressure after curing, if you do it right. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• cervantes1m
              • Nov 20 2016

Thank you Dave.....ill keep you posted

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎