Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transmission Overhaul (help please, byersmtrco!)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peeeot
    Experienced
    • Oct 23 2005

I think I have my answer about that. The FMX apparently has the filler tube going into the case, not the pan, and closer inspection of the autotran site seems to indicate that the filter would only have one hole rather than two. If I'm right about those details, then what I have is not an FMX.

This link shows an FMX that looks the same as mine from the top. My aluminum bellhousing isn't identical, though, and that large hole near the top left corner of the case isn't there. I assume that hole is for the filler tube. Mine has the same tube-style vent. The other thing that's different is that mine has a port for one of the cooler lines that comes off the top right corner (in the picture) at a 45 degree angle.

Sound familiar?

Edit:

I just found this on ebay. Someone is listing a 65 Galaxie 500 XL 352 paired with what they claim is an FMX. the picture shows the kind of scalloped pattern cast into the aluminum bellhousing like mine has; it shows the dipstick tube going into the pan; and it shows the cooler line coming out of the corner at an angle, all exactly like mine. The tailshaft looks the same too, without a governor access cover.

Now I'm realllllly curious.

Comment

• KULTULZ

It's not an FMX. There is a lot of confusion regarding different models of the origional FORD-O-MATIC. The FMX was not introduced until the 1968 model year. It should be the small case CRUISE-O-MATIC behind the 352.

Comment

• peeeot
        Experienced
        • Oct 23 2005

Okay, thanks for confirming that. I wonder why a small case cruise-o-matic was installed behind a 352.

I finally got in touch with my last local resource. They didn't have any of the parts I need. The fellow I spoke to said that the other thing that caused those cracked cases (and sheared off the servo bolts, like what happened to mine) was dropping the car into reverse off of fast idle. If I wind up with another stock case, as I suspect will happen, I'm going to absolutely baby it. And keep that fast idle speed down.

I will check with Fatsco or Northwest next.

If all else fails, I have that '60 for $250.

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

Originally posted by KULTULZ
          It's not an FMX. There is a lot of confusion regarding different models of the original FORD-O-MATIC. The FMX was not introduced until the 1968 model year. It should be the small case CRUISE-O-MATIC behind the 352.
          I thought it was a medium case for a 352 Squarebird and a large case for a 430 Squarebird. The chart in the link in this thread also states a 1958-60 352 4V uses a medium case. I checked with a mechanic friend who confirms that the 352-equipped Squarebirds used a medium case Cruise-O-Matic.
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• peeeot
            Experienced
            • Oct 23 2005

Originally posted by Alexander
            I thought it was a medium case for a 352 Squarebird and a large case for a 430 Squarebird. The chart in the link in this thread also states a 1958-60 352 4V uses a medium case. I checked with a mechanic friend who confirms that the 352-equipped Squarebirds used a medium case Cruise-O-Matic.
            I too spoke with a tranny guy in the know who said that the small case was not up to the task of serving a 352. And there's no denying that my '59 case is longer, and different in a couple other respects, than this other case I've picked up.

Comment

• byersmtrco
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 28 2004

I believe the key is Early Full Size Ford or Merc ***390 Pwr'd*** NOT 352 !!!! I'm stepping into the wayback machine here (for me) I was a teenager when my dad was doing all this tranny stuff w/this car . . . But I remember pretty much what he did (Since it's come up in several (hundred) conversations with him since.
              Keep looking, you 'll get the corr one !!!!

John

Comment

• peeeot
                Experienced
                • Oct 23 2005

Would a Ford truck transmission work?

Comment

• byersmtrco
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 28 2004

I honestly don't know. "If" it was an early to mid 60's (61-65?) P/U with a 390 ?? maybe. I'm sure the tailshaft is differenent. But all you're after is the center case section. Use all your orig 1960 parts with it.

I'm sure these guys on the "Galaxie" websites would have more info. This is what their cars came stock with. I realize most of the badboy 406 pwr'd Galaxie's were 4 speeds, but I think a few of em had Automatics. Which one do you suppose that would be, say in a 63?

Is it the same center case in a 430 59 or 60 Bird? I don't know. I'm starting to think yes. We know the bell hsg is different. They changed things from year to year. The general information and specs remain, but they beef castings up when things keep breaking.

If anyone knows where(if) there is a casting # on a trans case, I'll gladly put my car up in the air and get it for you.

John

Comment

• peeeot
                    Experienced
                    • Oct 23 2005

I called Fatsco and Northwestern Auto Supply. Northwestern said they didn't deal with transmission parts; Fatsco knew what I was talking about but didn't have the right case. They said my best bet was to get the '60 complete trans I've mentioned. Any case they might have sold me would have been more than half the cost of that complete unit.

That's what I'm leaning towards doing.

Comment

• tarps3
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jul 21 2003

I've had a couple of '64 Galaxies. One was a 390 with an automatic and it was the cruise-o-matic tranny. I experienced many of the same problems discussed here. Multiple rebuilds over the course of ownership...
                      Casey

Comment

• peeeot
                        Experienced
                        • Oct 23 2005

What did the others have? Manual transmissions?

Comment

• tarps3
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jul 21 2003

The other Galaxie I had also had a 390 but it was a 3-speed with overdrive. Also a convertible - I wish I still had it.
                          Casey

Comment

• peeeot
                            Experienced
                            • Oct 23 2005

I returned the small case and bought a new transmission today. This one is supposed to be from a 1961 Thunderbird. The fellow I bought it from has been working in and around thunderbirds for a living since the 60s, so I took his word for it. The case is good, but the whole unit is a real mess. That's okay, all my old internals aren't!!

He said that Ford learned of the cruise-o-matic problem early on and had remedied it by '61. I looked at 3 transmissions when I was there: the one I bought, one from a '63, and one from a '65. Internally, they were all identical. At any rate, when this goes back in the car, it will be treated gently.

Also, he taught me how to adjust the bands. It seems so simple! I'm pretty happy about that.

Ooh, also, he had a clean '59 convertible and a freshly restored '60 hardtop there. Those two cars were the first squarebirds other than my own that I've ever seen in person, and therefore the only ones in good cosmetic shape! It was exciting!

Back to the transmission: After looking inside three unserviced cruise-o-matics, I'm now certain that mine was rebuilt very recently. So I'm tempted to re-use my old bands. I need to check the manual to see if it gives the thickness of the linings when new or when needing replacement.

Is autotran the best place to get a rebuild kit?

Comment

• peeeot
                              Experienced
                              • Oct 23 2005

Just thought I'd add that the case has CB1 cast into the side and the tag on the side, which is red, says 352 and then PBL-AH.

Comment

• Alexander
                                Webmaster
                                • Oct 30 2002

PBL-AH is a medium case and the right case for your 352.
                                Alexander
                                1959 Hard Top
                                1960 Golde Top
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍