No announcement yet.

Surge tank overflow

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surge tank overflow

According to my aftermarket gauge the temp of my 60 430 runs about 190 to 195 when in traffic. When I stop and park it I'm getting alot of coolant out the overflow tube. How full should the surge tank be and is there a way to hide a catch tank to collect the overflow.
  • BlackBird58
    Experienced
    • Mar 9 2005

RE: Surge tank overflow

I had long term problems with surge tank overflow, search the forum and you'll find a number of articles on it. Basically, you should fill the surge tank so that there's about 3" above the fluid level when cold. Also, make sure you've flushed the coolant system and that your thermostat is functioning. Beyond that a 6 or 7 blade fan and a fan shroud should help.

Good luck,
    Mel

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

I usually fill the expansion tank to about 1 inch below the bottom of the radiator cap opening.

In my 1959 I made an overflow tank out of a quart mason jar that connects to the expansion tank via brake line and rubber hose. I made brackets that attach it to the driver's side of the radiator using the screws that hold in the radiator shields. The mason jar attaches to the brackets with large worm hose clamps. It looks period.

There are a number of neat overflow tank that are offered by various companies that cater to hot rodders.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

This is the overflow resevoir in my 1959:

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

The horn placement in a 1960 will make this kind of installation impossible in that year Thunderbird, but there is room in front of the cowl near the driver's hood latch and in non A/C cars the whole area where the evaporator case goes is available. Though, I have seen cars with plastic overflow tanks mounted in the evaporator area, it works, but it does not look right.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

These kinds of overflow tanks may fit the area occuppied by the dehydrator to the driver's side of the radiator, if you don't have A/C.

Our products solve your engines' oil and cooling problems. Improve your engines oil pressure, oil temperature, and coolant system with Canton Racing Products.

Alexander
            1959 Hardtop
            1960 Golde Top
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

• frank58
              Super-Experienced
              • May 28 2006

Alexander, those links show some pretty good looking overflow tanks, but quite honestly, your mason jar really looks period. Nice job.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Later Model Overflow Bottles

Something like this;

..may also be an option. It is a late model MUSTANG that fits on a crossflow radiator to the side of the shroud but should be easily adaptable. There are several styles, would have to take a Saturday afternoon walk though a salvage yard to find the perfect one.

I like the fruit jar too...

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎