X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cwcb08
    Experienced
    • Oct 11 2016

Originally posted by jopizz
    You can try and take the sender apart. Normally it's rust and scale from gasoline seeping inside that causes it not to work. I've had some degree of success. If the parts are still intact when you take the small cover off you can probably fix it. If the parts have deteriorated you will need a new sender. There are two different fuel senders; one with low fuel warning and one without.

John
    Ok I might try that.

Yes I have noted there are two versions available.

Do you know of the low fuel termistor will still function if the fuel level sending unit doesn't?
    2016 FORD F150 XLT 3.5 EB SPORT 302a - 2012 KAWASAKI ZX-6R - 2012 LEGEND DELUXE V-NOSE - 2008 KAWASAKI ZZR600 - 2008 FORD FOCUS SE - 2007 KAWASAKI ZX-6R - 2002 ARTIC CAT 500 - 1990 JOHN DEERE 265 - 1966 FORD THUNDERBIRD HARDTOP TOWN

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Cwcb08
      Do you know of the low fuel termistor will still function if the fuel level sending unit doesn't?
      From what I can tell the low fuel circuit is separate from the normal sending function. It should still work.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Cwcb08
        Experienced
        • Oct 11 2016

Yesterday, After almost maiming a cop with our hubcap leaving the starting area of the bob McMillan poker run and falling to the back of the group. Worrying and wondering if the ole girl was going to make it the whole route about 160km ( transmission tunnel and console started getting warm and the powesteering heavy ), we finished the route with a flush and won 2nd place($300)!

Got her home safely and checked all fluids, powersteering is empty and the transmission fluid barely showing on the stick, ive got some leaks to track down!

Thinking about a new carb with the prize money, we found somone near Detroit selling a bunch of edelbrock 1406 carbs for $200 bnib, the shop we had work on the car also has a edelbrock carb the owner bought from somone that's only a year old, going to check the price on that also.

Were you guys able to see the photos in the facebook link I posted above?
        2016 FORD F150 XLT 3.5 EB SPORT 302a - 2012 KAWASAKI ZX-6R - 2012 LEGEND DELUXE V-NOSE - 2008 KAWASAKI ZZR600 - 2008 FORD FOCUS SE - 2007 KAWASAKI ZX-6R - 2002 ARTIC CAT 500 - 1990 JOHN DEERE 265 - 1966 FORD THUNDERBIRD HARDTOP TOWN

Comment

• Cwcb08
          Experienced
          • Oct 11 2016

got a few minutes with the car today, sprayed some JaxWax cleaner around the power steering lines then hosed it off. Once i started the old girl the leak became very obvious, a steady drip from what i believe is one of the wiper motor lines

looks like this hose to me https://www.larrystbird.com/product/...per-hose-6466/

once i get that replaced hopefully there wont be any more messes to wipe up off my nice epoxy floors haha

still haven't replaced the to short carpet on the passenger side or tackled the new interior

but i did see on Desert Car Kings they restored a 65 Tbird while watching tv today, looks like it was a rerun from jan 26 '11

Comment

• Cwcb08
            Experienced
            • Oct 11 2016

does anyone know the fitting type, size, thread pitch ect, of the hose from that goes from the steering box to the wiper motor, im wondering if i go to the local hydraulic shop maybe i can have them make up a hose cheaper than buying one online and get the car back on the road before the weather actually gets colder

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
              Experienced
              • Mar 1 2017

does anyone know the fitting type, size, thread pitch ect, of the hose from that goes from the steering box to the wiper motor, im wondering if i go to the local hydraulic shop maybe i can have them make up a hose cheaper than buying one online and get the car back on the road before the weather actually gets colder
              I may have a good used one if that is of any help . If I have it , no charge other than mailing it to you .

Comment

• Cwcb08
                Experienced
                • Oct 11 2016

Originally posted by OUR5T8BIRD
                I may have a good used one if that is of any help . If I have it , no charge other than mailing it to you .
                that would be AWESOME! let me know OUR5T8BIRD thankyou

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
                  Experienced
                  • Mar 1 2017

that would be AWESOME! let me know OUR5T8BIRD thankyou
                  Found one . The harder part may be to find a box to put it in . Will be a fun job changing it . Let me know where to go from here . You can send me your phone number by PM if you wish .

Great to see the younger generation getting involved with these older cars .

Comment

• Cwcb08
                    Experienced
                    • Oct 11 2016

got the hose OUR5T8BIRD was generous to offer us installed yesterday. ( thankyou again )

what a pain. getting the old one out was pretty easy, loosened the fitting at the steering box with a box wrench then when i had it backed all the way out by hand i put a rubber glove over it to catch the fluid while i worked on the other end.

once it was removed I fed the replacement back in an attached at the steering box then fought with the wiper motor end, got it started by hand but it didn't feel right so i backed it off ( didnt want to cross thread it ) then it took me 30 min to get the dam thing started again. ended up pulling the hose back out to recompare it to the original, reconnected the original to make sure i wasn't loosing my mind ( without fishing it back into place ). FINALLY after disconnecting it at the steering box i was able to fight it to start at the other end then wrestle it to thread at the steering box.

i snugged up all the fittings filled the power steering pump with fluid, started the car while it was iding i re checked the power steering and transmission fluid level, added as required then we went for a cruise down the river happy to report no leaks!

we have started talking about buying a different car for next year something that accelerates hard and fast ( and prettier paint or already painted with lots of go fast parts readily available ), we have been watching classifieds and online and we both knew it was coming but maybe not so soon..

thinking about starting at $8000 CAD if anyone knows someone looking in MI or ONtario

Comment

• Cwcb08
                      Experienced
                      • Oct 11 2016

monday was the last day of our thunderbird adventure, had a guy come look at it and make a cash offer.

sitting waiting for his flat bed to take it away:

empty lonely garage:

but it was short lived, my wife found this online and we went and picked it up yesterday 1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS:

its been fun here and learning about thunderbirds, but the reality was making it pretty inside and out was just more than we wanted to spend! i told the new owner about you guys so hopefully he comes by some time.

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Welcome to the Monte Carlo family. Hopefully you'll keep in touch and the new owner will join us.

John

Comment

• Cwcb08
                          Experienced
                          • Oct 11 2016

I'll leave the bookmark in my top bar for sure, do the photo links work or does it make you sign in?

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The photo links work fine.

John

Comment

• Cwcb08
                              Experienced
                              • Oct 11 2016

havn't forgot about this forum, i check my bookmark for 64-66 flairbirds a few times a week, seems like mostly crickets lately hah

the monte carlo we bought wasn't in as good of condition as we thought, some thoughtful previous owner took it upon himself to repair the body mounts for us,, with spray foam and black spray paint.... (it was brought to our attention when we took it in for a safety)

now im in the middle of a frame off restoration ( never thought i would tackle something like this myself! )

parts we ordered to replace worn components

turns out the rear frame rails were shot to ( i guess thats common on G bodies )

replacement frame rails

the car came with a 305 sbc but we bought this 76 triumph for its motor to do a swap ( before the good news from trying to get a safety ) the motor is a 67 327 crate motor with l98 aluminum 350 HO heads

305 on the lift and 327 on the stand.

i also need to replace the whole floor but wont tackle that until the frame is cleaned repaired and painted

just popping by to let you guys know im still thinking about you and the Tbird

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Cody thanks for the update and looks like you will be busy over the winter. That is a deep green in the garage wall in the pixs and looks like the Triumph colour.
                                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                                Thunderbird Registry
                                58HT #33317
                                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍