Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You need to have that fitting. It is two different threads. Normally a flare fitting doesn't need an o ring. It looks like you have one so I would either take it out and try it or replace the o ring.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
      Experienced
      • Jul 4 2015

Flare of Fuel Line Fitting

Here's the flare of the fuel line. Should there be an o-ring around this? Nope, it was just a lot of sludge/gunk that looked like a failed o-ring. But I just can't get a good seat in the female fitting. Maybe a little emery cloth around the edge. I did feel a little burr.

Last edited by GeoffInCarlsbad; September 5, 2015, 04:55 PM.
      Geoff In Carlsbad
      1961 Thunderbird Convertible aka: Betty:cool:

sigpic

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
        Experienced
        • Jul 4 2015

No O-Ring, just dirt

Hi Joe:

Actually, there is NO O-Ring, just very dirty. I tried cleaning it with acetone and brake cleaner, but perhaps that's the real issue on not getting a seat. I am going to replace the fitting.
        Geoff In Carlsbad

sigpic

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The female fitting needs to be perfectly clean and smooth to get a good seal. If you feel a burr on the flare use some fine sand paper or emery cloth. As I mentioned that type of fitting doesn't need an o ring.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Flare nuts are easily cross threaded. They need to be started by hand with NO tools, for the first couple threads.

It happened to my wife's brother... In winter, with snow on the ground, I noticed red dots going up his driveway. I went inside and asked, 'who is leaking trans fluid?' His face turned pale as he explained, he just came back from the oil change place where they changed his trans fluid.

The 'mechanic' cross threaded one of the radiator fittings then wrenched it tight.

Now you know why I do my own work. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
              Experienced
              • Jul 4 2015

Mission Accomplished.

Ok, folks. I soaked the fuel pump fitting in brake cleaner fluid for 10 minutes. Using Q-Tips, Pipe Cleaners and 2000 grit sand paper, I was able to clean out a lot of the stuff that did not allow a good seat from the flare on the steel fuel line.

I also used Teflon tape on both sets of male threads, tightened down 1/2 turn from tight fit. I didn't see torque settings so I wanted to be careful.

WARNING: Make sure that you then check your fuel line connections at your fuel filter ends and carb. All the jiggling around of the steel fuel line loosened those connections so when I first turned her over, no leak at the fuel pump, but it sure was flowing out of my fuel filter connection!

I replaced the cheap crimp clamp that was on there with an appropriate hose clamp. I also checked/tightened the hose clamps on the fuel line. On a '61, there's the steel line, to a rubber hose, to fuel filter, back to rubber hose and into the carb. Check them all!

Let me know if anyone wants pictures other than those that I have already posted, but this is pretty basic stuff.

Next projects:
              • Front Seat Belts
              • Speedometer
              • PCV Tests
              • Transmission Leak at the Linkage from the steering column to the tranny (or so I'm told)!
              Last edited by GeoffInCarlsbad; September 5, 2015, 05:21 PM.
              Geoff In Carlsbad

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎