This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Apprentice

mmuenchow is on a distinguished road
Default time to be cool

Well like Dad said: do it once and do it right!. I installed the new motor and it is running hot. 210 with a 190 stant, installed the big houses rad shroud and still hot. so what do i need ? I am thinking a new rad 3 core and aftermarket fan and fan clutch. What fan do I use and witch fan clutch. can I get by with stock rad or aluminum?? Were and who do i get the parts from?? The motor is a 428 .030 over 10.5 to 1 edelbrock heads and intake, crane cam, mds dizzy and a c6 to drive it. dyno was 433 hp 456 tq it runs reel good..
Old 10-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Super-Experienced and a really nice guy!

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default time to be cool

Mike is this Tbird the '64 or the '69? Since you have already installed a radiator shroud, that suggestion is out. You might consider a 5 bladed fan or a 6 bladed flex fan as I have on my '59 Squarebird. As for where to get the parts from, any of our Tbird parts houses should be able to provide them. Check out the listings in the Advertisements Forum for that information. Other members might have more suggestions.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Apprentice

it is a 60 bird with the original rad. thanks
Old 10-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

Confirm that you really have 210 degrees with a infrared gun if you haven't already, but a new engine will tend to run somewhat warm until it breaks in. You might consider installing a v-groove t-stat if you haven't already which does improve the flow, especially at idle. There are also tstats which are brand new not opening at the rated temperature.

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 10-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Apprentice

Just came in from the garrage, hot in mn today 80"s. The lazer gun can up with 215 on the t stat housing and top rad hose. I am getting a 10 degree drop on the return side of it. the fan is the orignal 4 blade and tommrow i will try a flex that i have. the stat is a high flow 190 from summit. thanks will tell you more later. p.s. do you think the headers make any difference?
Old 10-09-2011, 07:36 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

a 5 blade ( for AC cars ) would help quite a lot.
Perhaps a electric fan for idle and after you cut the engine off.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Last edited by Anders : 10-09-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:15 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Your radiator only changed temp ten degrees??? Is it clogged? Point that thermostat at and around your cores. Find out where flow really is. You know, if you hit cold spots, coolant isn't flowing there but air is.

If your Edelbrock heads are aluminum, a 190-195 stat is appropriate. Expect your gauge to read higher than stock.

Now, let's talk about pressure. Modern cars run with 16-lbs. What is your radiator rated for?
Higher pressure raises the boiling point (like a household pressure cooker). Off the top of my head, I think you get ~3 raise for every pound of pressure increase. So, if you have a 8-lb cap, (3X8-lb=24) so 212+24=236 <--your new boiling point at sea level.

With a 19-lb cap: 19X3=57 rise, so 212+57=269

The only reason I would do an aluminum radiator is if it can withhold a lot more pressure than the copper OEM.

The only factors we didn't cover are, coolant flow and air flow. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Experienced

59thunder is on a distinguished road
Default So what temp should these cars run at?

standard fan and rad

idle?
cruise?

what temp and where should the needle be on the gauge?

Thnks Tony
Old 10-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Super-Experienced and a really nice guy!

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default time to be cool

According to the '59 Shop Manual for the 352 & 430 Engines, the Tstat Low Temperature reading should be Opens F-157-162Degrees. Fully Open-F-182Degrees. High Temperature reading should be Opens F-175-180Degrees. Fully Open-F-202Degrees. For Cylinder Block Tstats it Opens-F-137-142Degrees. Fully Open-F-162Degrees. I hope this helps.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Apprentice

Default getting there

OH GREAT T BIRD MASTERS;
I tried a 6 blade flex and it pulls more air but still runs hot at 55 mph. Gets hotter at idle, so in the garage again and with the lazer gauge the top and bottom are 3o + degrees cooler. so i drained the rad removed top hose and snaked in the neighbors bore scope. The tubes are corroded and colored white and brown. Time to re-core, dose anyone know of a good shop or do i buy a new rad. new original or aluminum and were do i get the aluminum rad? thanks