X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RusstyRodder
    • Mar 24 2011

new guy-any reason not to customize?

Hey guys!

So I recently was given a '66 Thunderbird, to compete for garage space with my 66 chevelle and S/C'd V6 mustang(note: Do not attempt to add 2 bays to garage without parental consent).

The Bird is a Z-code Landau Hardtop, 83,000 mile california car(still sporting the blackplates). I have yet to get any recent photos, but if i remember right it has a white top and interior- Body paint is faded, to the point it looked like primer. I know it has factory Air Conditioning, stereosonic radio, and the optional steering wheel(no speed control). Im waiting on photos to identify what else it has, as well as axle codes and if its a C6 or COM.

But while Im waiting on that, Ive been doing some renderings and considering what to do with it. I'm not one for factory restorations unless the car is on the rare side, or very original- then I feel bad driving it, and sell it(still miss my old LTD). Ive been looking at a new blue paintjob(true blue or Bright Atlantic), 17" wheels with modern rubber, and a drop. On the opposite side, Ive been hearing that I should just restore it to factory specs and leave it at that. Of course, I have a lot ahead of me first- getting it 3500 miles across the US, getting all the lights to work, and a head-to-toe tune up...

Anyway, what do you guys think? Is it worth the factory restoration, or make it a bit more unique?

Edit: And I'm the idiot who spelled his name wrong. Go me!
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Alex, how can anyone tell you how to spend your money or enjoy your hobby? It's totally up to you.

There are considerations to both sides. We all try to get an unmolested barn find, because any car is never valued more than in 'original' condition. Any 'improvements' detract from that.

BUT... with today's gas, oil, interstates, and traffic, how safe is your car to drive? It wasn't built with hardened exhaust valve seats for unleaded gas, most of our classics still have drum brakes, no seat belts, etc.

So you see, HOW you enjoy your passion will dictate your answer. I am sure my answer will be different from yours on some level. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• RustyNCa
      Super-Experienced
      • May 31 2007

Originally posted by RusstyRodder
      Hey guys!

So I recently was given a '66 Thunderbird, to compete for garage space with my 66 chevelle and S/C'd V6 mustang(note: Do not attempt to add 2 bays to garage without parental consent).

The Bird is a Z-code Landau Hardtop, 83,000 mile california car(still sporting the blackplates). I have yet to get any recent photos, but if i remember right it has a white top and interior- Body paint is faded, to the point it looked like primer. I know it has factory Air Conditioning, stereosonic radio, and the optional steering wheel(no speed control). Im waiting on photos to identify what else it has, as well as axle codes and if its a C6 or COM.

But while Im waiting on that, Ive been doing some renderings and considering what to do with it. I'm not one for factory restorations unless the car is on the rare side, or very original- then I feel bad driving it, and sell it(still miss my old LTD). Ive been looking at a new blue paintjob(true blue or Bright Atlantic), 17" wheels with modern rubber, and a drop. On the opposite side, Ive been hearing that I should just restore it to factory specs and leave it at that. Of course, I have a lot ahead of me first- getting it 3500 miles across the US, getting all the lights to work, and a head-to-toe tune up...

Anyway, what do you guys think? Is it worth the factory restoration, or make it a bit more unique?

Edit: And I'm the idiot who spelled his name wrong. Go me!
      First thing, those blacks plates have value, don't give them up cheaply...

You could always do a mix of the two (factory or modified) like we did.

Personally, your car sounds like a perfect candidate for this treatment, I think this car is about as nice as you can make one look (but understand I like white cars, not so keen on blue). Bout the only thing I would do different is throw some tint on the windows and keep the rear up bout half an inch.

Also, with that a/c we have been running ours on the new stuff for a few years now with no problems and works great....

Cheers
      RustyNCA

Oh, look here for our 65 Special if you are curious
      Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

• keith
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 13 2010

RustyNCA,

Your car looks great, love the stance.
        Keith
        Sedalia, Mo.
        sigpic
        CLICK HERE for Keith's web site

Comment

• RusstyRodder
          • Mar 24 2011

Originally posted by RustyNCa
          First thing, those blacks plates have value, don't give them up cheaply...

You could always do a mix of the two (factory or modified) like we did.

Personally, your car sounds like a perfect candidate for this treatment, I think this car is about as nice as you can make one look (but understand I like white cars, not so keen on blue). Bout the only thing I would do different is throw some tint on the windows and keep the rear up bout half an inch.

Also, with that a/c we have been running ours on the new stuff for a few years now with no problems and works great....

Cheers
          RustyNCA

Oh, look here for our 65 Special if you are curious
          Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Rusty- what did you change on the R12 system to work with 134A? I'd love a working AC, especially with some of the humid days here.

I've had many colors- right now the red chevelle and white mustang. Ive never had a blue car though(Or green), so I thought i would try somethign new.

That 65 special looks amazing! love the look- Little low for me though. I was thinking a 1.5-2" drop front and 1-1.5" for the rear(the photos you have of the 65 with the bullitts helped inspire that one)

-Rusty in NY

Comment

• RustyNCa
            Super-Experienced
            • May 31 2007

Rusty- what did you change on the R12 system to work with 134A? I'd love a working AC, especially with some of the humid days here.

I've had many colors- right now the red chevelle and white mustang. Ive never had a blue car though(Or green), so I thought i would try somethign new.

That 65 special looks amazing! love the look- Little low for me though. I was thinking a 1.5-2" drop front and 1-1.5" for the rear(the photos you have of the 65 with the bullitts helped inspire that one)

-Rusty in NY
            I think on the flairbirds you have to keep the *** up some, because the body line drops toward the rear and if you drop it to much makes the car look like a tail dragger, which the bird just doesn't fit style. Oh, and I assume you found the couple shots where I was running 17s in the bird. I think it's a look your 66 can do if you run the right wheels, my opinion is that these cars don't really pull off alot of bling very well. I see them as being to classy for that I guess.

On the A/C, I would have to ask the guy that did it, but seems like he did very little to the system. Flushed it real good and added the 134 is all I think. He said that the system in our fords are so overbuilt that they seem okay running it that way... if I remember right.(might let me ask him bout it). Only thing I know is last year when we drove it out of town, we kept having to turn off the a/c for a bit because is was getting to cold in the car. It was a decent day in May, so I would think it was running about 85~90 outside.

The 65 is actually dropped 2" rear and probably 2.25 up front. Two additional items I would like to still do to it, better, bigger sways up front and rear and tunes.... really the tunes would make it a perfect daily driver for me.

Here is another look that I may copy from him on my son's 65. I think these bodies might also pull it off okay. I'm not thinking that low, or the w walls, but...

Last edited by RustyNCa; March 30, 2011, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• RusstyRodder
              • Mar 24 2011

I think on the flairbirds you have to keep the *** up some, because the body line drops toward the rear and if you drop it to much makes the car look like a tail dragger, which the bird just doesn't fit style. Oh, and I assume you found the couple shots where I was running 17s in the bird. I think it's a look your 66 can do if you run the right wheels, my opinion is that these cars don't really pull off alot of bling very well. I see them as being to classy for that I guess.

On the A/C, I would have to ask the guy that did it, but seems like he did very little to the system. Flushed it real good and added the 134 is all I think. He said that the system in our fords are so overbuilt that they seem okay running it that way... if I remember right.(might let me ask him bout it). Only thing I know is last year when we drove it out of town, we kept having to turn off the a/c for a bit because is was getting to cold in the car. It was a decent day in May, so I would think it was running about 85~90 outside.

The 65 is actually dropped 2" rear and probably 2.25 up front. Two additional items I would like to still do to it, better, bigger sways up front and rear and tunes.... really the tunes would make it a perfect daily driver for me.

Here is another look that I may copy from him on my son's 65. I think these bodies might also pull it off okay. I'm not thinking that low, or the w walls, but...
              I agree with the slight rake, not many cars pull off the level look. and If the car has the skirts, it makes the rear look a bit lower. What spacers did you have to get to run the mustangs wheels? Im assuming a 1" front, and 1-1.25" in the back?

Interesting with the AC. Be nice to have a car with it! And as for the tunes...well, Its got a working 8-Track. guess I better stock up on Aerosmith and Springsteen.

Also random, but- did these cars have a choke from the factory? Apparently mine either isnt equipped(new carb, perhaps), or isnt working any more.

Edit: Had a chop done. Hmm...Has potential!
              Last edited by RusstyRodder; April 1, 2011, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Ah, a nice Kiwi custom, a real nice car!

We have quite a slew of Thunderbirds in New Zealand, more than you would believe for a country where they were never sold by Ford.
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

On the A/C ...

once you have the R-12 and oil removed (please do not just open to atmosphere) you need to replace all of the o-rings and the fill adapters with new R-134 compatible pieces. You should be able to get a conversion kit at any good auto parts store. Mike

If you go any lower than this, beware speed bumps and the like.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                    Super-Experienced
                    • May 31 2007

I agree with the slight rake, not many cars pull off the level look. and If the car has the skirts, it makes the rear look a bit lower. What spacers did you have to get to run the mustangs wheels? Im assuming a 1" front, and 1-1.25" in the back?

Interesting with the AC. Be nice to have a car with it! And as for the tunes...well, Its got a working 8-Track. guess I better stock up on Aerosmith and Springsteen.

Also random, but- did these cars have a choke from the factory? Apparently mine either isnt equipped(new carb, perhaps), or isnt working any more.

Edit: Had a chop done. Hmm...Has potential!
                    I pulled the Mustang wheels of the 58 and slapped them on just to see what it would look like, but at the time, I thought it might work without any spacers. Note, I didn't spend alot of time on it. Can't remember what I was doing with the 58, but in the one photo you can see it up in the air in the background.

We aren't running any spacers in the rear, but those are also 275x35 tires . The front has a 1.25" spacer, but seems like I thought it would clear without the spacer, and the fronts are 245x45 I think.

And personally, you have to run skirts on these cars, they just look so good with them, and Ford did a nice job of making the skirts look like they belonged. Much better than the skirts a friend of mine has for his 56 Belair.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                      Super-Experienced
                      • May 31 2007

Originally posted by gaffney1951
                      once you have the R-12 and oil removed (please do not just open to atmosphere) you need to replace all of the o-rings and the fill adapters with new R-134 compatible pieces. You should be able to get a conversion kit at any good auto parts store. Mike

If you go any lower than this, beware speed bumps and the like.
                      Don't sacrifice looks for speed bump worry..... I know I don't with my other ford....

Comment

Well, looks are important ...

Don't sacrifice looks for speed bump worry..... I know I don't with my other ford....

but then again, with your setup you don't have to worry about tearing out a $500 and up exhaust system or other $$$ component. Maybe if your just into low speed cruising you could get by, but I run my stuff hard. Mike

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎