X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdmike63
    Experienced
    • May 4 2017

Turn indicators freezing

Hey everyone, my turn indicators are freezing up when I have all the outside lights on, heater on, they freeze on. I have a stronger alternator, all my grounds are good. I have the original sequential system in the trunk, I was thinking about getting the electronic version, do you think this would help since it probably uses less power? Thanks!
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

I experienced a similar problem, but it was caused by cheap low quality bulbs. You may be correct about the flasher and it's an easier cheap obvious fix.

Dean

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The sequential unit worked fine from the factory with the original alternator so it has nothing to do with the design of the system or how many amps it draws. If you're sure all your grounds at the sequential unit in the trunk are good then I suspect a worn sequencer motor. In that case, yes, the solid state unit will fix it but it's an expensive fix. You can also look for a good used motor on Ebay which is less expensive but you never know how long it will last. If you decide on buying the solid state unit look around. They were used on Cougers as well as Thunderbirds so prices can really vary.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbirdmike63
        Experienced
        • May 4 2017

Actually the rear turn signals work fine it's the front fender top indicators that freeze up when I have a lot of things on in the car like the lights, heater, etc. so I was wondering if I was to buy the electric sequential unit it would be less draw so the front fender indicators would work properly.

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
          Experienced
          • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
          Hey everyone, my turn indicators are freezing up when I have all the outside lights on, heater on, they freeze on. I have a stronger alternator, all my grounds are good. I have the original sequential system in the trunk, I was thinking about getting the electronic version, do you think this would help since it probably uses less power? Thanks!
          This is becoming a common problem as of late and many owners with '65 and '66 Birds are experiencing the same thing . With all your lights on with these birds you have as many lights as the average Xmas tree . When you come up to a turn, the signal indicator is probably working just fine. Then you apply the brakes and more lights come on . That is most likely when the indicators stay on constant . With a bit more rpm they probably flash again . When this situation is happening with the indicators, your signal lights are still working the way they are supposed to do through the flasher (motorized stepping switch ) ) and signal relay in the back . Sure you will see the amp gauge going into the negative. What is most likely failing is the turn indicator relay , located just under the dash above the left knee . Part # C5SB-13A 366-C . You could try to replace it or open it and clean contacts etc. Or, live with it like most of us . Hope this helps.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
            Experienced
            • May 4 2017

I was under the impression when the fender indicator freezes the rear lights freeze up too, so the rear signals continue to work even when the fender indicators freeze?

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You have three common points regarding the front turn indicators: the relay under the dash, the turn signal switch and the motor/flasher in the sequential unit. It's not necessarily true that if the fronts freeze so do the backs. I've seen the fronts freeze and the backs continue to work. Do the front lights freeze at idle. If so it should be easy to tell if the backs stop working at the same time.

John

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
                Experienced
                • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by jopizz
                You have three common points regarding the front turn indicators: the relay under the dash, the turn signal switch and the motor/flasher in the sequential unit. It's not necessarily true that if the fronts freeze so do the backs. I've seen the fronts freeze and the backs continue to work. Do the front lights freeze at idle. If so it should be easy to tell if the backs stop working at the same time.

John
                John: With all the lights on, front and rear , night time running, signal light on, left or right, the front signal lights are flashing and the rear lights are flashing sequentially while the turn indicator on the fender stays on solid. Especially when you apply the brake lights . From experience, with higher rpm while on the brake, the indicator will start to flash . Hope this clarifies whats I am trying to express .

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm not doubting what you are saying. I'm just pointing out that the turn signals worked fine when the car left the factory. I've had numerous '65 & '66 Thunderbirds over the years that had no issues with the turn signals freezing up. If they are now it's because of a fault in one or more of the components or poor grounding due to corrosion or a breakdown in the wiring, not because of the design.

John

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by OUR5T8BIRD
                    ...With all the lights on, front and rear, night time running, signal light on, left or right, the front signal lights are flashing and the rear lights are flashing sequentially while the turn indicator on the fender stays on solid. Especially when you apply the brake lights...
                    Simply wire the indicator light with the front turn signal light. Done! - Dave
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                      Experienced
                      • May 4 2017

That's s great idea, i found the wire that goes to the fender indicator, but the wire that goes to the front turn signal do you know what color wire that is that I need to tap into? Thanks!

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
                        That's s great idea, i found the wire that goes to the fender indicator, but the wire that goes to the front turn signal do you know what color wire that is that I need to tap into? Thanks!
                        It should be white/blue on the right side and green/white on the left.

John

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎