X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barrysmith
    Experienced
    • Aug 28 2008

engine swap 352FE to 390FT

After reading several post it seems it is an easy swap from a 352 to a 390 using same exhaust manifols, motor mounts and tranny on a FE motor.

I have located a 1974 390 FT motor with the 428 crank and bored.30 over, basicly a rebuilt motor, with the 2barel setup.

Can I swap out that engine with the same luck?

Was told I can without any problem from seller.

I was going to take the 352 heads off my motor and put on the 390, along with my 4 barrel intake and carb.

Will this work OK?
    Thanks
  • JohnG
    John
    • Jul 28 2003

hi Barry

Welcome to the Squarebirds site!

The 352 and 390 motor have the same block, being part of the Ford FE series of motors, which should ease your mind. The 390 has both a slightly bigger bore and slightly longer stroke, accounting for the 38 cubic inches.

That said, I would want to see a post from someone who has actually done this because there is always the possibility of some minor detail getting in your way.

john
    1958 Hardtop
    #8452 TBird Registry
    http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
    history:
    http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by JohnG
      That said, I would want to see a post from someone who has actually done this because there is always the possibility of some minor detail getting in your way. john
      Can´t realy say I done it, but the previous owner sended me this mail when asked about the engine, so it seems to work quite well. Can´t tell how many horses I have, DIN, SAE or Kw..., but she is quite fast to be honest.;

The best i could determine I was the third registered owner the car was originally a 352 but had a cracked block as well as other ailments, the 390 came out of a mid sixties ( 1964 ) pickup and the heads are 352 as they had larger valves, there is a mild cam with forged pistons, it has been ported and relieved, with a competition three angle valve job and hardened seats, the tran, both front and rear suspension rebuilt. the ac has new compressor, dryer and condenser, rear end was not rebuilt but was drained, flushed and new fluids added the current carb is a 750 cfm ( Edelbrock Performer #1411 ) as the original 500 cfm wasn't adequate for the additional power, has not been dynoed but feel it should be producing upwards of 450 hp.
      Last edited by Anders; September 1, 2008, 06:39 PM.
      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Hawkrod
        Experienced
        • Oct 31 2005

If the 390 really is an FT not an FE it is actually called a 391 and those engines are not interchangeable with FE engines even though they are both based on the same block. Unfortunately the block is where the similarities end. The FT has a different intake, heads and exhaust manifolds that do not interchange unless you swap the entire combo. the FT crank is a different design and has a much larger snout to support the front driven accys of a big truck and to that end the timing cover and water pump are also different and can't be changed unless you change the crank. The FT also uses a special distributor as the bottom of the shaft is a larger diamter than an FE but you can actually buy a special pushing to solve that problem (it is installed into the hole in the block that the distributor goes into). all in all it is unlikely to be cost effective to try and put an FT where and FE is. Now, having said all of this, the seller may be full of poo and it really may be a 390 FE engine in which case it will bolt right in where a 352 currently resides. Hawkrod

Comment

• JohnG
          John
          • Jul 28 2003

Good point! I didn't even notice the "FT"... so it would seem the first job Barry has is to determine what motor he really has... a 390 FE or a 391 FT...

Anders, you have shattered any images of Ruth being a refined lady... the word ****** now comes to mind...

john
          1958 Hardtop
          #8452 TBird Registry
          http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
          history:
          http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• barrysmith
            Experienced
            • Aug 28 2008

So it will bolt in the mounts and use the same tranny?
            I have the heads, intake, 4 barrel carb and exhuast manafold off my 352 to put on it.
            He gave me the numbers and it is an FT, wright now it is in a 58 Fairlane.

Thanks,
            Barry

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by barrysmith

So it will bolt in the mounts and use the same tranny?

I have the heads, intake, 4 barrel carb and exhuast manafold off my 352 to put on it.

He gave me the numbers and it is an FT, wright now it is in a 58 Fairlane.

Thanks,
              Barry
              Hopefully, the seller is confusing an FE that came from a light truck as an FT, which is a medium/heavy duty truck engine.

If an FE, yes it will go in as you are describing.

Comment

• barrysmith
                Experienced
                • Aug 28 2008

He swears it is a FT, 5 exhaust ports on the manifold, cast irion timing chain cover, water pump allso differant and a hunormus harmonic ballance with about 6 groves for belts. said it looks alot like a 460.

He said the last exhuast ports where blocked off as they are only thier to air cool the carb and motor runs fine this way, only reason he is swaping to a 360 is the 390 is to much power for his 58 fairlane that is a LOW RIDER.

Comment

• KULTULZ

He swears it is a FT, 5 exhaust ports on the manifold, cast irion timing chain cover, water pump allso differant and a hunormus harmonic ballance with about 6 groves for belts. said it looks alot like a 460.

He said the last exhuast ports where blocked off as they are only thier to air cool the carb and motor runs fine this way, only reason he is swaping to a 360 is the 390 is to much power for his 58 fairlane that is a LOW RIDER.
                  If it is an actual FT (330-361-391), you want nothing to do with it (except possibly for bare block/crank) unless you have a F-600/750 laying around.

Can he supply a photo?

Comment

• barrysmith
                    Experienced
                    • Aug 28 2008

what is so bad about the FT 391 motor ?

I am confused

If the block is the same exept for some internals,water pump and timing chain housing, why cant the heads, intake and ehuast manifold be swaped out with the 352 parts?

The only thing I am using is the lower end.

Thanks

Comment

• Hawkrod
                      Experienced
                      • Oct 31 2005

what is so bad about the FT 391 motor ?

I am confused

If the block is the same exept for some internals,water pump and timing chain housing, why cant the heads, intake and ehuast manifold be swaped out with the 352 parts?

The only thing I am using is the lower end.

Thanks

Because the crank is different you can't use your timing cover and can't use your pulleys brackets and accessories. None of it will fit. You did mention it supposedly has a 428 crank and if that is true then you could use the shortblock and install a distributor bushing and make it work but if it still has 391 internals you will want a different cam and pistons as well. Based on all of this it certainly does not make for a cost effective swap. You might as well just get a stock or midly built 390 engine from a rebuilder and call it good for what you would spend converting and FT to use in a car. Hawkrod

Comment

• barrysmith
                        Experienced
                        • Aug 28 2008

THANKS!!
                        For clearing that up for me.
                        I swear I am not ignorant, just ignorant to the facts on fords.

Comment

You threw me off with ft also. The truck motors look just like the cars but they don't work, 361-391-and i think up to the upper 400s mabye even 501. Lets put some gas in one those today. About 4 miles?????????

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎