Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on Setting up paint/body capability?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rancherman
    • Oct 26 2016

Advice on Setting up paint/body capability?

I'd like to set up the equipment to do body work and painting in my shop. I'd appreciate any thoughts on compressor size/brand, compressor installation/air handling system (filters, regulators etc), spray/media blasters and the booth itself. I've searched this on the web extensively and have been leaning towards a Quincy 5hp/60 gal (~15.5 CFM) as the compressor with an oil coalescing filter, auto drain, and pressure regulator, a Northern Tool media blaster (110 lb), and a good HVLP gun with gravity feed cup (not sure of brand yet). Thoughts any one?

Thanks
    Rancherman
  • toddgilroy
    Experienced
    • Aug 30 2014

I bought the Quincy QT-54 (60 gal/5 HP/two stage) and it is a beast. I have used it quite a lot media blasting in a Harbor Freight cabinet that I have modified quite a bit. I added an Eastwood vac and a Skat Blast gun upgrade kit and carbide nozzle, and a Skat Blast floodlight assembly. I would suggest checking out Skat Blast cabinets at TP Tools...When I have to replace the HF cabinet I will probably go with a Skat Blast cabinet setup.

I use hi-flow fittings on the media blaster and the compressor keeps up no problem. I set up a "poor man's air cooling system" by running the air through over 40 feet of copper pipe then to a drop before the first regulator/moisture separator. If I were to do much painting I would probably spend the money on the Quincy air cooler.

Hope this helps a little.

Todd
    Attached Files
    Last edited by toddgilroy; November 27, 2016, 05:57 PM.
    Todd Gilroy
    1960 Tbird Convertible
    Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎