X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 57ford/60thunderbird
    Experienced
    • May 4 2009

fuel filter

does anyone know where a person can get a fuel filter to fit the original 4 barrel carb for a 60 352 i thought i saw someplce that it had been reproduced but its not in my new MACS catalog

or does somone know where to get the tapered fitting that screws into the carb so a person can just run a metal line to the carb ? of course useing an inline filter

the reason im asking is my original filter leaks like a running faucet i bought a fuel pump the other day (for a 66 352) just to get the bird running
    and
    tried to get a filter or fitting at the local has everything parts house but they didnt have either
    while on my junkyard visit i took off the fitings from every close year ford carb i could find 2 and 4 barrel no luck

i cleaned out the original filter and installed an inline filter before it and tried to start it last night and
    had a major case of thunderbird 352 flambe (not good)

now i realize the reason for the back FIRE through the carb id most likly a timing issue but fixing the timing isnt gonna help if i still have fuel running all over the intake

PLEASE HELP
    Last edited by 57ford/60thunderbird; May 23, 2009, 10:14 PM. Reason: my lousy spelling
    57 ford sedan
    60 thunderbird registry number 33404
    69 mustang coupe
    69 roadrunner
  • trim code 76
    Experienced
    • Aug 3 2006

Go to ebay, type in 1960 thunderbird and you should find a couple right now, not much money. Good luck!
    Greg and Lucille

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
      Experienced
      • May 4 2009

cool thanks just went to ebay found the right one and bid on it soo nobody on here bid against me PLEASE my bird.....rosie will thank you
      57 ford sedan
      69 mustang coupe
      69 roadrunner

Comment

I bought a half a dozen in a pack from flebay. I also got one for 430 n.o.s has ford ##s on it.

Comment

• JohnG
          John
          • Jul 28 2003

Since you are rebuilding your fuel system anyway, I would suggest relocating a see-through filter on the gas tank side of your fuel pump. In other words the fuel gets filtered before the pump. Then run steel line up to the carb.

This can save crap from getting into your fuel pump and possibly causing it to fail. If you buy a new fuel pump and look at the paperwork with it, you may find that the warranty is only valid IF you have a filter before the pump. The pump has two small "check valves", or one way valves in it. If they get crapped up they can fail and your pump no longer... pumps.

john
          1958 Hardtop
          #8452 TBird Registry
          http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
          history:
          http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Coral
            Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by 57ford/60thunderbird
            cool thanks just went to ebay found the right one and bid on it soo nobody on here bid against me PLEASE my bird.....rosie will thank you
            Now Keith, we aren't that way here....

Comment

Hey John,
              Very good point! I done Christine that way a few weeks back.
              I also pulled out the gas tank sending unit and looked down inside the gas tank. I removed that paper screen from the line inside the gas tank. Blowed out gas line, installed inline filter just before fuel pump and installed new fuel pump.
              She's running like a big cat, I mean big Bird

Comment

• JohnG
                John
                • Jul 28 2003

You were able to remove the screen from inside the tank?? Neat!! On my car the screen is an integral part of the tank (meaning I had to blow it out with carb cleaner and so on).

john
                1958 Hardtop
                #8452 TBird Registry
                http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                history:
                http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
                  Experienced
                  • May 4 2009

Originally posted by Coral
                  Now Keith, we aren't that way here....
                  well, i didnt think you would be but since no one on here knows my ebay user id someone might inadvertanly bid on it and then rosie would be out

once i get the gas tank cleaned out and replace the fuel line from the tank to the pump (with stainless) and get a new sending unit i will put a filter in befor the pump unless i just splurge and get a new tank also
                  57 ford sedan
                  69 mustang coupe
                  69 roadrunner

Comment

• Coral
                    Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

a new tank would indeed be a splurge!

Unless theres rust in there or it leaks/dented I would think you'ld be A OK just doing the line and filters...was your filter crusted up?

Comment

Hey John,
                      Yes! When I took the fuel sending unit out, I was checking inside the gas tank with a mag light. From the rear of the car looking in the hole slightly to the left there was the fuel line. The outlet or where the gas comes out of the tank is about 1 1/4" above the bottom of the tank, therefore Ford or whoever built the gas tank put another line inside that picks gas up from the bottom of the tank. On the end there was a filter. I took a stick and fiddled with filter until it broke loose. Now how to get it out? I thought for a while and took two sticks and used them as chop sticks. After about three tries I got it out. It is almost like some kind of heavy paper or cloth, its really hard to tell. It was pretty dirty I could not see through it.

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
                        Experienced
                        • May 4 2009

cathie, actually when i sprayed the carb cleaner through the filter it came out fairly clean but with it being a metal cannister its hard to really know

since rosie hasnt been on the road in years and the guy i got her from told me he drained the tank and it was full of s***
                        im for sure going to take it out and seal it at the very least
                        and fill it with water to see if there are any nasty surprises like holes /leaks
                        57 ford sedan
                        69 mustang coupe
                        69 roadrunner

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
                          Experienced
                          • May 4 2009

you tell me your ebay id and ill tell you mine that way we wont be trying to out bid each other sound good?
                          57 ford sedan
                          69 mustang coupe
                          69 roadrunner

Comment

• Coral
                            Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by 57ford/60thunderbird
                            you tell me your ebay id and ill tell you mine that way we wont be trying to out bid each other sound good?
                            who?
                            I'm not bidding on anything right now...but if your bidding on the Atlas one, you have an excellent rating of 502...most of the auctions now make the bidders ID's anonymous so no-one but the seller knows anything

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
                              Experienced
                              • May 4 2009

, i just ment for future auctions
                              57 ford sedan
                              69 mustang coupe
                              69 roadrunner

Comment

Working...
                              😀